We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa B4i.travel Sim Card

Greater Cincinnati
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
South Africa B4i.travel Sim Card

Hello all!

We are traveling to South Afica and after much research have decided to order a sim card online beforehand from B4i.travel. You can take your unlocked cell phones and when you arrive at the airport you can visit the store in the terminal where they install the sim card and get you up and running. You receive your local number before leaving. I had a ton of questions before ordering and the Nationals Rental Manager has answered every one of them in a detailed and prompt fashion over email.

I like the convenience of not having to deal with RICA registration. I thought the prices much more reasonable that when we took our local phones to Europe through the AT&T network.

Let me know if anyone else has had a good experience with this company.

16 replies to this topic
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 228 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: South Africa B4i.travel Sim Card

I'm pretty sure no. We often call in there when arriving late in the evening to pick up stuff to take home - usually milk! I don't recall a cellphone desk. Only bigger Woolworths stores have a cellphone dept - they call it "Connect". The airport is not listed as one of them :

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: South Africa B4i.travel Sim Card

Thank you very much for your information.

So I think I will buy b4igo or buy in supermarket in the next day .

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1 688 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: South Africa B4i.travel Sim Card

Ctoshio, not sure of your itinerary but if you fly into Jo’burg with a connecting flight to Cape Town, there is a shop in domestic departures at Jo’burg airport which sells SIM cards, and can get you set you up with calls, texts, data etc. The shop is Total Sports and I’ve used them a couple of times now.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: South Africa B4i.travel Sim Card

Sandsy40, thanks for your attention.

I am flying from Angola direct to Cape Town.

On my way to Cape Town I think that I will stop in Vangate Mall. There are woolworths with connect and vodashop4u in this shop. And buy some snacks in Spar.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: South Africa B4i.travel Sim Card

I have a phone that gives me low cost roaming (which is very convienient), however my partner doesn't. We just go straight to Vodacom on arrival at JNB or CPT and grab a new Sim. They'll get it sorted in a few minutes and you'll be on your way. I'm sure MTN do the same. I probably wouldn't bother preorganising anything to be honest

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: South Africa B4i.travel Sim Card

Try this place out we have used them for the past 5 visits. https://www.holidayphone.com/ That is US site. Same as the UK site we use. We have never had a problem. I understand you may have already had you vacation but may next trip.

Reply to: South Africa B4i.travel Sim Card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor