We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden route or Safari

3 posts
Save Topic
Garden route or Safari

Me and my boyfriend are going to South Africa mid November, we can't decide between the Garden route or a Safari. Any tips or recommendation to help us decide. We only have 4 days to explore one of the other. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Garden Route
Garden Route
107 Reviews
Western Cape, South Africa
20 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
771 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Garden route or Safari

I would choose the Kruger National Park anyday and the only way to do it is self drive . I have never been on a "Safari" but I have been to the game reserve often. in fact most years since 1955

Mentioned in this post
Alnmouth, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Garden route or Safari

We went to ZA for the first time this year, spending four days in CT, before driving the garden route.

We finished in a private game reserve, and whilst not animal lovers ( and perhaps not one for the purists) stayed at Pumba. Fabulous, fabulous for a first timer and whilst our three week trip was fantastic in all aspects, to finish with a game reserve really topped off the holiday. So if you get the chance I would say go to KP, but you may not see the big five, as a "proper reserve"m as it were .

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Garden route or Safari

first timers in Nov 2016, we did a week capetown then drove along the garden route stopping overnight in knysna and on to Addo national elephant park for 4 days before flying back from port elizabeth to capetown for the remainder of our fortnight. Addo was fantastic. we hired a sit in car independent guide who took us to a herd of elephants where we watched the entire herd complete with babies walk in front of our car. we also did 4 x sunrise and sunset game drives which were great. we saw a pair of lions, elephants, buffalo, many types of antelope, zebras, warthogs, hyenas, emus etc etc. Very affordable and great introduction to animals with a very pretty garden route through tsitsikamma national park which is breathtaking. we loved SA so much we're coming back Jan 2018 to do kruger and capetown combo. any questions please ask :)

Edited: 23 August 2017, 20:16
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Garden route or Safari

Would love to hear more about your Kruger/Cape Town plan this month! My boyfriend and I are traveling to Cape Town in March and are looking to spend 3-4 days in Kruger. Looking for an affordable private reserve safari or a self drive/hotel recommendation.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Garden route or Safari

Hello Shellybabes,

I have plans for Addo April 2018 what do you mean when you say you hired a sit in car with private guide? I was thinking of doing full day tours.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2 305 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Garden route or Safari

I've never met anyone who didn't think that their safari to Africa wasn't the most exciting,fun,and educational experience of their entire life. Even if you only have 4 days I urge you to at least get a taste of it. Safaris are simply highly addictive; I've already been 0n 14 and am planning on going on at least 3 next year. In fact I even moved to Nairobi,Kenya

Mentioned in this post
The Africa Cafe' Restaurant
The Africa Cafe...
855 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4 715 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Garden route or Safari

It's worth noting you can do both the Garden Route and Safari.

We did the Garden Route last month and then did safari at Kariega Game Reserve up by Port Elizabeth.

Here's a link to my full trip report:

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g312659…

Mentioned in this post
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
George, South Africa
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Garden route or Safari

I would say you can do both.

Along the route from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth there are a number of private game farms in the area. Also about 45 minutes outside of Port Elizabeth there is the Addo Elephant National Park which is home to the Big 5.

I would suggest taking 2 - 3 days to travel down the Garden Route, and then spending a day or 2 in Addo before flying from Port Elizabeth. That way you get to experience both the garden Route and the Safari you wanted.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Addo Elephant National Park
Addo Elephant National...
2 587 Reviews
Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Garden route or Safari

Linvelli-

My family and I (6 adults) are heading to SA for the first time in March also. We are there for 15 nights. We are spending spending 5 nights in Cape Town, 2 nights in Knysna, and 2 nights in Port Elizabeth (we have reserved a large van for driving the route). We are then flying from PLZ to JNB and have reserved another large van to drive from JNB to Kruger and are spending 4 nights at Baobab Ridge. Great reviews for a great price. We then drive back to JNB to head home. We considered flying to HDS but it saved us a considerable amount to rent the van and drive even including the fees it costs to bring the vehicle on site.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Knysna
Knysna
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Baobab Ridge
Baobab Ridge
286 Reviews
Klaserie Private Game Reserve, South Africa
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4 715 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Garden route or Safari

I would recommend staying in Hog Hollow rather than Knysna itself, from our experience.

http://www.hog-hollow.com/

Mentioned in this post
Knysna
Knysna
Reply to: Garden route or Safari
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central