We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden route or Safari

3 posts
Save Topic
Garden route or Safari

Me and my boyfriend are going to South Africa mid November, we can't decide between the Garden route or a Safari. Any tips or recommendation to help us decide. We only have 4 days to explore one of the other. Thanks

20 replies to this topic
Boston, MA, USA
Level Contributor
678 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garden route or Safari

safari,safari,safari

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garden route or Safari

Safari - gardens you can see anywhere!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
4 628 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garden route or Safari

I only go to S Africa for safari so I don't really understand the question. :)

If you can, book a flight to Skukuza or Hoedspruit from Cape Town and enjoy your 4 days on a self drive safari in Kruger Park or a private lodge in one of the adjacent unfenced reserves. See www.sanparks.org for Kruger Nationsl Park. Let us know your budget and we can help with lodge options.

The Garden Route isn't gardens.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5 341 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garden route or Safari

"Safari - gardens you can see anywhere!".

Not gardens, but a very scenic part of South Africa, so called, because the whole route is as pretty as a garden!!!

So, you cannot see the garden route anywhere but here.

However, if it is a first time visitor to SA, I would recommend spending as much time as possible, self driving in the Kruger National Park ( which nowadays, is (incorrectly) called a "Safari").

Atlanta
Level Contributor
905 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garden route or Safari

We did both with a week on the Garden Route and a week in Kruger self-driving. There are more "activities" and varied things to see/do on the Garden Route, but the experience of safari, esp in Kruger, is like no other. If I had to choose, I'd choose safari.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2 014 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garden route or Safari

Aaahhh! What a pity you can't do both! If I had to choose, safari!!!!

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Garden route or Safari

Thank you for all the replies. Since it seems the safari might be the better option.

Addo elephant National Park or Kruger national park?

Self drive or private lodge game reserve?

We're trying to do this on a budget but dont mind spending on something that is worth it.

Thanks again!!

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5 341 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garden route or Safari

Kruger National Park without a doubt. Self drive is the most cost effective way for budget concious and IMO is the most fun way. Closest to a real "safari" experience. You decide where to go and for how long!

Stockport England
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1 715 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Garden route or Safari

I'm just back from my first trip to SA, and Kruger.

Self drive in the park is great, but we also did two full day guided tours with rangers. As first timers we found the knowledge of the rangers, locating and spotting wildlife to be invaluable .

If ( when ) I revisit I'd also look to visit (eg ) sabi sands private reserve as well.

We couldn't get accommodation within the park and stayed at Protea Kruger gate hotel . 200m from the park, very convenient and a nice hotel .

Enjoy plans

Atlanta
Level Contributor
905 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garden route or Safari

We did both: self drive and a private reserve. If you've never been on safari, it would be helpful to go on a drive with a ranger first (this can be arranged at rest camps in Kruger, I believe). You will learn the strategies for spotting animals. Private reserve is also nice b/c everything is done for you. Food, drives, sundowners, etc. I think it depends on how much autonomy you want. We did 6 nights at rest camps and 2 in a private reserve.

Reply to: Garden route or Safari
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted