We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Great Missenden...
Level Contributor
86 posts
437 reviews
Save Topic
Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

I have read about about Cape Town having water restictions, is it having an effect on tourists?

I saw that some hotels/guest houses are removing sink plugs from baths to encourage shower use.

122 replies to this topic
Coleman, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
111. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

We are going to Cape Town on feb 26th for three night. I am unsure what to do. Cape Town needs tourism still but I worry about using up their water. I also worry that we will not be well received. And of course I am concerned we will have water to drink and will that water still be safe to drink. Can bottled water still be bought in grocery stores

?

Coleman, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
112. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

We are going to Cape Town at the end of feb for theee nights. I think Cape Town still needs tourism but worry about how we will be received. I also worry can water even be bought in grocery stores and will the tap water still be safe to drink?

Edited: 05 February 2018, 20:39
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2 086 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
113. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

You will be fine. The tap water will definitely be safe to drink & bottled water will be readily available. Day 0 has now gone back to 12 May because some of the farm reservoirs are able to release some of their excess water. We'll be in Cape Town at the same time & until 20 March & have no worries about the water. Enjoy this wonderful city, probably a lot warmer than home....eh?? Which Coleman?

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
114. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Hi, I read this really interesting and informative article

https:/…

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
115. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Even though there is Drought please visit because many folk rely on tourism for their living and if everyone stays away then no tourism no money and a lot of unemployed poor folk joining the ranks of the poor

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
116. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Hi all. We're happy to report that Cape Town is open for business. There are restrictions in place, but there will be water available for your daily needs - even if we reach Day Zero. Many accommodation establishments have taken the initiative to make alternate arrangements for water (such as rain harvesting, water recycling, and so on). While we ask that visitors use water responsibly, we assure you that you'll still be able to see the major attractions and have a fantastic holiday.

During peak season (November – January) international tourists only add 1% to the population of the Western Cape. This number drops from April – September. If you follow the daily usage guideline, your impact would be negligible. The tourism sector supports approximately 300,000 much-needed jobs across the Western Cape, and visitors are essential to support these jobs.

TSO
POULTON .LANCS.
Level Contributor
111 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
117. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

And now the report of the other extreme in that nine people reported dead in Western Cape floods .

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
118. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Accommodation establishments are as everyone should be responsible. Why would we not respect water. Our guests goes out of their way to save water. They care.

Tourists make out 1% or less of the population of Cape Town but their financial impact is massive. By asking 1% of the population to save and conserve water is important.

Our problem is arrogant recidents who have enough money to buy the world but don't care about water:

"The water usage of these households over the past six months ranged between 19 000 and 48 000 litres per month. This means that, on average, the daily consumption of these households often exceeded 1 000 litres per day."

And we are using less than 50lt per person per day. And it's easy. Why? It can be done. It's the right thing to do. #WEARENOTFATCATS!!!!!

Every month the Cape Town officials tap very many home owners who don't care one iota. NOTHING! THEY ARE OUR PROBLEM!!!!

SA CEO Tourism said tourists are welcome to visit; "South African Tourism says tourists should not cancel their trips to Cape Town as the so-called “water crisis” is not unique to the Western Cape, but is a global issue. sabcnews.com/sabcnews/…

This is what we share with our guests asking about the water …capeholidays.info/articles/…

Have, save water, drink wine.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
119. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

You are asking for a yes no question:

Any negative news will affect tourism negatively.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4 944 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
120. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Date pushed to July now:

https:/…index.html

Reply to: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central