We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Great Missenden...
Level Contributor
84 posts
418 reviews
Save Topic
Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

I have read about about Cape Town having water restictions, is it having an effect on tourists?

I saw that some hotels/guest houses are removing sink plugs from baths to encourage shower use.

Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Cape Town Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Air Tours
City Sightseeing
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Cape Convoy
Shark Diving, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
122 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
652 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

The drought is very severe and not much water left in the dams. not quite sure how the hotels are coping but we live here and its down to less than 400 litres per person per day Showers are only taken once week and all water saved for grey water use Baths are filled with warmed rain water that's been collected ... We are getting light showers every so often but not nearly enough . we collect all our ran water and only use the tap water for cooking. But do come to visit just be aware of the situation and go carefully with water usage

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5 487 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

The situation in Capetown is very serious.

Showers generally use less water than baths, and are more hygienic, anyway :)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4 491 posts
581 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Cape Town really has big water problems and spring is around the corner with the winter rains being light.

Hotels should remove all the plugs, ask you to flush only when necessary, collect the water from your showers in a bucket.

I really worry about the situation in 6 months time, as tourists we should do our best to save water whenever possible when in Cape Town.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Is it only effecting Cape Town or the other cities as well i.e. Hermanus, Stellenbosch, etc... ?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4 491 posts
581 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Cape Town is the worst affected. I know Hermanus isn't too bad at the moment and doesn't have restrictions.

I think Stellenbosch is the same.

Have a look at photos of the Theewaterskloof Dam, which is one of the main dams that feeds Cape Town. It is shocking!

But who knows what will happen in a few months. I saw that the flower show at Clanwilliam had been cancelled this year due to the drought.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Oh wow it does look very serious. Also not much rain seen in the weather forecast. I hope the situation get resolved very very soon.

Great Missenden...
Level Contributor
84 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Sorry - what you on about?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2 595 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Removing bath plugs . . . . . .

Modern baths don't have loose plugs any longer.

Tourism industry is not affected by the water shortage. You may be asked to save water during baths or showers, but that is voluntary. Don't let this change your holiday plans.

Great Missenden...
Level Contributor
84 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

They can be unscrewed.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4 491 posts
581 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?

Gerald

We agree again today! It shouldn't stop anyone from coming but I am hoping that accommodation establishments are asking people to help to save water, every little bit helps as they say! Taking a shower instead of a bath is one such way.

Tourism is extremely important to Cape Town but there is no doubt that your drought and the low winter rains this year are serious. I'm hoping that it keeps on raining into the spring and I did see a photo of snow on the mountains in Worcester today

Reply to: Water problems (shortage) effecting tourism?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central