We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around Beaufort West with out a car

2 posts
Travelling around Beaufort West with out a car
Save

Good day,

I am looking at visiting the area in August when I have some time off work. It would be preferable for me to use the train from Cape Town so I can sit back and enjoy the ride. How easy is it to travel around the area with out hiring a car?

4 replies to this topic
Gauteng, South...
Level Contributor
4 792 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Travelling around Beaufort West with out a car
Save

I don't know for certain but I don't think it would be feasible at all.

Gauteng, South...
Level Contributor
4 792 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Travelling around Beaufort West with out a car
Save

Why not fly to George and drive up from there through Oudtshoorn and the magnificent Meiringspoort?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 827 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Travelling around Beaufort West with out a car
Save

The Shosholoza Meyl train service stops in Beaufort West. There are three services which you can use. There is the service up to Johannesburg leaving Cape Town on Tuesday and Thursday. There is the service to Queenstown which departs on Thursday and Friday. There is the service to East London which leaves Cape Town on Sunday and Tuesday.

There is information about ticket prices and the schedule here https://www.shosholozameyl.co.za/train-routes.aspx

I am pretty certain that Intercape, Translux and Greyhound buses also stop in Beaufort West with scheduled services.

As for travelling around the area without a car, that is nigh impossible

Edited: 5 years ago
Gauteng, South...
Level Contributor
4 792 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Travelling around Beaufort West with out a car
Save

Agree - getting to Beaufort West via public transport is fairly easy, it's being without a car once one gets there that is the problem from a feasibility perspective.

Reply to: Travelling around Beaufort West with out a car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Beaufort West
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.