We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Sun City from Johannesburg…Safe or not?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Driving to Sun City from Johannesburg…Safe or not?

I want to rent a car and drive from Johannesburg to Sun City. I’m a single female and just wondering if that is safe or not? I couldn’t find a bus that drove there or is there any info on hiring a driver to take me?

4 replies to this topic
Des Moines, Iowa
1 post
1. Re: Driving to Sun City from Johannesburg…Safe or not?

I highly recommend having a male companion, as you never know what might happen if your car breaks down.

We are going this November, but I'm traveling with my husband, dad and a good friend.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1 867 posts
60 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving to Sun City from Johannesburg…Safe or not?

I would not do the trip alone as a single female.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3. Re: Driving to Sun City from Johannesburg…Safe or not?

Hi Annie r, try sagleosafaris.co.za. I know that pre-Covid they did lots of trips to Sun City / Pilanesberg.

South Africa
Level Contributor
512 posts
120 reviews
40 helpful votes
4. Re: Driving to Sun City from Johannesburg…Safe or not?

Hi Annie. Chat to your accommodation at Sun City and they should be able to assist. I’m South African , I would not do that route alone unless very sure of the vehicle. But even then probably not. I would also choose to go in a group as opposed to alone - I’m sure your accommodation will arrange a shuttle bus

Reply to: Driving to Sun City from Johannesburg…Safe or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sun City
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.