We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ais Ais - Richtersveld

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
10 helpful votes
Ais Ais - Richtersveld

Hi all

Need some advice.

My hubby, myself and our child will be dirving down from Luderitz back to Cape Town and i thought we could stop at Sendelingsdrif Rest Camp. I see there is a ferry you have to cross the orange river, does this mean you cross the border there?

I thought you could only cross the border in Vioolsdrif and then with a permit by Alexander Bay? I am now confused as I would hate to have to drive to Vioolsdrif to cross the border and then all the way to Sendelingsdrif - this will be a pretty long drive (almost 10 hours)

Kerry

3 replies to this topic
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 434 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Ais Ais - Richtersveld

You can cross the border with the ferry at Sendelingsdrif.

And you no longer need permits to cross the border at Alexander Bay. (you just sign a book when you enter the mining area and you are not allowed to take small roads and tracks to the side).

I used the Alexander Bay Customs 2 years ago, My brother used the ferry last year. This forum will be more up to date: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/

Between Ais-Ais and Sendlingsdrif is under 3 hours, if your map shows the C37 down to Ausenkehr (some maps don't, but it is a fine road)

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Ais Ais - Richtersveld

Thank you so much Gerald. This may be a silly question but my car does go on the Ferry with us right?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 434 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Ais Ais - Richtersveld

Yes, right. See this link for pictures: http://tinyurl.com/nh8tg39

Reply to: Ais Ais - Richtersveld
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Upington
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.