We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Augrabies

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
10 helpful votes
Augrabies

Hi all

I see on most sites it says that Augrabies National Park is malaria free but on the SanParks site it says precaution must be taken? Does this mean a doctors appointment to get meds? And would it be safe to take my 6 year old with us?

4 replies to this topic
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
11 258 posts
1. Re: Augrabies

Hello Kerry

There is currently no malaria risk in the Augrabies National Park. I think that the comments on the SANParks Augrabies site are just out of date.

Here is the latest Official Advice from the Malaria Group of South Africa which includes representatives of the Department of Health, The Medical Research Council, the National Institute of Communicable Diseases and various University Departments of Medicine.

This was published in the South African Medical Journal (by far the countries leading Medical Publication) in November 2013.

http://www.samj.org.za/index.php/samj/article/view/7533/5518

If you are concerned I urge you to read it. You will see that there is no risk specified for the Northern Cape - the whole province.

You will also see that the whole country is on track for the complete elimination of indigenous malaria in South Africa by around 2018-2020 (that is 3 to 5 years from now).

As I say I think that the comments about prophylaxis on the SANParks site were just based on totally out of date information. It does say that "Malaria has been historically recorded in the area". Well so it has in Cape Town - but a long, long time ago!

Augrabies is great. We were there a few months back, I think our fifth trip, and we had a great time. Tracked a pair of Giraffes for about half an hour. Your 6 year old will love it - and the falls too! The accommodation is also some of the best we have stayed at in different National Parks around the country

Edited: 9 years ago
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Augrabies

Wow thank you so very much. I really appreciate all the info. We are so excited about our trip

Upington, South...
3 posts
3. Re: Augrabies

100% Malaria free.

Augrabies, Northern...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Augrabies

There is no Malaria at Augrabies. The Park is confused.

Reply to: Augrabies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Upington
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.