We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about guesthouse rates

K A
Florida
Level Contributor
428 posts
19 reviews
36 helpful votes
Question about guesthouse rates

I need an overnight stay in the Upington area enroute to KTP.

I have contacted several moderate-priced, simple accommodations with what I would consider reasonable rates for a party of 2, either in twin beds or sharing a queen/king in a private home. The rates have been in the R800-R1000 range.

What is most (unpleasantly) surprising and I am wondering if this is the norm for the area, is that all are quoting the above prices as self-catering, and if we should want dinner and breakfast, the cost would be an additional R800-1000 (for two persons). This seems quite high (!) to me considering these homes are not gourmet restaurants. Is this a normal price for the area, i.e. do locals pay this much for meals?

5 replies to this topic
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3 924 posts
17 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: Question about guesthouse rates

That seems a bit high.

What you can normally expect +/- R100.00 for breakfast and +/- R200.00 for a 3 course dinner, per person.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazview

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3 298 posts
2. Re: Question about guesthouse rates

£25 for dinner and breakfast sounds ok to me. Do not underestimate the quality of the food you get in guest houses in SA. They are way above the standard of most comparable places here in the UK. Breakfast will set you up for the day.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
10 575 posts
60 reviews
73 helpful votes
3. Re: Question about guesthouse rates

Honestly, I don't get it. Those quotes for the meals would seem to be some sort of mistake. I am sure the guesthouse owners wouldn't pay that much for those two additional meals. Maybe you should look at B&B's, and plan to go out and eat at a restaurant - which should cost you R200 - R400, depending on how much you eat and drink and also how pricey the restaurant might be in the first place. Entrees in my little town of Gansbaai would top out at R150 with many being less than R100.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3 298 posts
4. Re: Question about guesthouse rates

Bwanadave, I took the R800 to be the total for two - the same as the upper end of your quote but not extortionate?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1 462 posts
85 reviews
47 helpful votes
5. Re: Question about guesthouse rates

Self catering for 2 persons around r 800 untill 1000 is quite normal. Incl. breakfast p.p R 80,00 and p.p. For diner around r 150/200 Is also quite normal. Most of the diner meals in B&b are very good, if they are offered.

Reply to: Question about guesthouse rates
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Upington
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.