We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upington local advice please

South Africa
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
3 helpful votes
Upington local advice please

Hi hi

We are travelling in December from Jhb to Kuruman, Upington,Keimoes, Kakaman, Augrabes, Clan William.

We have never done this route before so just needed advice on if this is a good route to take. Is it best to spend the first night in Upington as it is an 8 Hour drive from Jhb.

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 014 posts
29 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: Upington local advice please

Down the N 14 is the most direct route but I would allow more than 8 hours to take road works, accidents into consideration and being such a long and tiring drive to Upington, you might want to consider an overnight stop before Upington We stayed at Vryburg but you might want to push on further. Kuruman to Augrabies is about half way and a stopover there would be more practical than Upington which is only a short 125 km drive to the Falls.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 434 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Upington local advice please

That is a route I would take in spring, because it is too hot in December and there are flowers to see if you go via Springbok to Clanwilliam. August is a good month. If it must be in December then prepare for a long hot dry trip with little to see and do.

Greater...
Level Contributor
3 918 posts
1 review
3. Re: Upington local advice please

I always used to stay overnight in Kuruman, when driving that route.

Reply to: Upington local advice please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Upington
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.