We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female Safety

Tacna, Peru
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
7 helpful votes
Solo Female Safety

Hi everyone,

I am planning to visit Nelspruit for about a week at the end of the month and am wondering how safe it is for a solo female traveler. This will be my first time in South Africa and all of the talk about safety and crime have me a bit worried. Any thoughts and/or advice?

Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 438 posts
464 reviews
508 helpful votes
1. Re: Solo Female Safety

I'm not a female, but I was in Nelspruit and it seemed quite safe to me. Much more than Cape Town for instance.. I don't know where you will be staying but ask your host(s).

Edited: 2 years ago
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
6 598 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Solo Female Safety

will you have your own car?

The reason I ask, is that a few years ago I stayed in Hazyview, one of the main tourist towns for Kruger, and there was no taxi service even from the main Nelspruit airport. i did wonder how tourists without their own transport got around.

Perhaps someone on this forum can advise if Uber operates in Nelspruit.

Tacna, Peru
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Solo Female Safety

I will not - I was planning to use taxis to get around and/or walk depending on where I'm going? But good to know that it's hard to get to places like Hazyview without one!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
6 598 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Solo Female Safety

The local , working population get around in crowded minibuses, these are are not usually used by tourists.

I am sure your accomodation will be able to arrange lifts with the more expensive tour /transfer services.

London, United...
9 posts
5. Re: Solo Female Safety

Hi there

There are no taxi services in and around Nelspruit. Places are very spread out so walking is not an option and definitely not safe after dark.

You really will need to get a car.

Reply to: Solo Female Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mbombela
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.