We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skukuza accommodations

Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Topic
Skukuza accommodations

Hi, possibly a weird question- my wife and I are looking to stay at Skukuza for 3 nights in October this year- checking out availability when we will be there a regular bungalow (BD2) is available the entire 3 nights, but a river view bungalow (our preference) is only available for the last night- is it possible (or unusual? or worth it?) to book 2 nights at the regular bungalow for nights then switch on the last night - or do you think its best just to stay in the same bungalow for the three nights? Thanks for you advice!

14 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 521 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Skukuza accommodations

A river view is always recommended in my mind so definitely worth it. Swapping bungalows according to availability is pretty common in my view. Check out time is 10 (I Think) and you can't check in until 2, but this shouldn't be too much of a problem. Head down to Lower Sabie for lunch on the deck whilst you wait for your new room. I have often times checked in much earlier than 2 though so you could be lucky.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 193 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skukuza accommodations

If you think you want it. Then grab it; it will be snapped up while you hesitate.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8 492 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skukuza accommodations

I just stopped by Skukuza a couple of weeks ago and booked one of the River View bungalows for a friend. Went and looked at them. These are pretty cool.. and have the added benefit of being on the perimeter of the lodging, adding to privacy as well as having the view. Yep. I would go to the trouble of moving.

Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Skukuza accommodations

Thanks for the feedback- I have taken your advice and gone ahead and made the booking with two nights at the regular bungalow and one night at the river view. Looking forward to it! Cheers

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4 867 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skukuza accommodations

Hello Phillip.

Not a weird question at all.

I am always recommending the river view bungalows here, in fact that’s all we ever stay at in Skukuza, the location is just lovely. Whether or not it's worth moving for the one night is really up to how you feel and how much time you will be spending in camp with only three days there, plus where you plan to eat. But yes they are much nicer for sure, more spacious also, and now that you have booked you will really enjoy your last night sitting out on the verandah overlooking the river. Maybe just don’t unpack fully, we do that with short stays. Some are still a very easy walk to the shops and restaurant, and yet at the same time they are well away from the crowds.

Even as your stay gets closer, I would still suggest to keep an eye on availability right up to the last minute, with that amount of time there is still a chance the whole three days may open up.

Have a wonderful time.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 193 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skukuza accommodations

Some Skukuza Information:

Definitely the largest camp in KNP, it has all of the amenities (A well-stocked camp store for supplies, the riverfront Cattle Baron restaurant, Gas station, FNB Bank & ATM/laundry. Also, offering a wide range of accommodations, from camping to Family Cottages/Guesthouses. The Skukuza airport (SZK) airport is nearby and both the camp & airport have an AVIS car rental office. There is also a SANParks office at the airport, where you can get your KNP entry permit.

Skukuza TA Review (with photos and roads driven/wildlife spotted etc.)

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g312618-d523…

Skukuza Rest Camp Map

sanparks.org/parks/…skukuza.jpg

Cattle Baron Bistro & Grill (Restaurant Menu)

http://www.cattlebaron.co.za/stores.html

The LR2W riverside bungalows are West of the restaurant and the LR2E are on the East of the restaurant. Hopefully, you will be able to change the other 2 dates to riverside bungalows as well; keep an eye out for availability and make the change, if that is what you are wanting.

Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Skukuza accommodations

Thanks again for the great information. I will definitely keep looking. I'm noticing now that there are also guest cottages available (GC4V and GW2) on some nights - I guess these are somewhat overkill for 2 people, but in the whole scheme of things not really that expensive. Is it considered rude for only 2 people to take up one of these? They look like they are river view so that sounds appealing!

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4 867 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skukuza accommodations

Haha yes it does seem a bit odd, but it does happen. We have done it ourselves although we try not to generally, but have booked guesthouses or cottages for two of us, usually when we cannot get what we want, although we stayed at one of the huge homes at Olifants once for a special treat. Don’t worry, and the staff like it because the cleaning is easier.

We are staying in Elsie Clarke cottage next time which is a GC4V, great location always when overlooking the river. If you have the choice grab that rather than the GW2 which is still fine, but the river views are always the best.

Prague
Level Contributor
143 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skukuza accommodations

Philipp I suppose the most important thing for you is to know how much time do you want to spend in the camp itself during the day. Some people just do their game drives in the mornings and / or evenings, whilst the others spend most of their days outside the camp gates travelling around the park´s roads. If you plan to spend daytime in the camp, you should book the riverside place for any number of nights available and at the day you switch the accommodation just spend your time between 10.00 and 14 .00 at lunch and relaxing in day visitors area - either in Skukuza or visiting Lower Sabie or Satara. And if you plan to go for long drives most days, there is no real need to stay at perimeter bungalows at all...

Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Skukuza accommodations

Once again thanks for the thoughtful replies- this is our first time so I'm not exactly sure how our days will go, but I think my wife would prefer down time during the day and to not be out driving all day, so I think being near the river sounds good.

Reply to: Skukuza accommodations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted