We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 nights in August

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
63 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
8 nights in August

Hi everybody,

after reading a lot of reports here and looking around for availability of accomodations in and around Kruger I have a rough idea what we would like to do and hope for some input from some experienced people around here :-)

We arrive after two nights in Victoria Falls in JNB and plan a stop on our way to Kruger as time does not allow to go the whole way at arrival day. We booked a night in Witbank already.

We plan to stay the first two nights in Marloth Park, maybe to play a round of golf the next day.

The next two nights we could stay in Skukuza Restcamp, maybe also some golf there

Next two nights should be Olifants Restcamp and final two nights then somewhere a bit north of Klaserie. Finally we will go back to JNB with another hotel stop on our way to the airport.

Does that sound reasonable ? Any suggestions for changes or for accomodations ?

Regarding budget we are quite open for nearly anything, if it is worth the price. In the Sanparks rest camps we will just book the normal bungalows, maybe the luxury ones when available. Both camps in the park have available rooms for our desired dates at this moment,

Are there any must-do activities we can do at our first two days in the Marloth Park area ? Is it worth already exploring south areas of the park or can/should we do that while we drive north to Skukuza ?

As you see we might want to play some (9 hole totally OK) rounds of Golf, but we want to leave enough time for the other activities as well. We do not bring our own clubs as we think rental equipment probably is available on site.

Greetings from Switzerland

Holger

14 replies to this topic
Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
63 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 nights in August

Hm, what did I do wrong? No answers at all :-(

As rooms are getting less we have booked now 2 nights Skukuza and 2 nights Mopani, as Olifants was booked out already now.

Due to this change we look for 2 nights around Klaserie before Kruger. Any good ideas ?

And after Skukuza maybe something around Sabi Sands?

There seems to be plenty of rooms in these area mid August. We would love to visit something on the (lower) luxury level where nice safaris are offered directly from the lodge and where nice food (game preferrably) is offered

Hope to get some ideas now...thanks in advance

California
Level Contributor
625 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 nights in August

>>>>Hm, what did I do wrong? No answers at all :-(

Not sure that you did anything wrong. The title was very generic which is probably why I didn't read it until now.

Most of us go to South Africa and moreso Kruger for the animals. I can't comment on the golf -- only on the animals.

For me, I'd spend the entire time in Kruger.

>>>>Is it worth already exploring south areas of the park or can/should we do that while we drive north to Skukuza ?

There are so many areas in the south (and throughout Kruger) and the animals move all the time. Thus, we check out the same roads multiple times during our trip -- sometimes even multiple times in the same day. So I would say it is definitely worth exploring the south areas of the park. First thing in the morning seems to be best followed closely by right before gate closing. In August it shouldn't be hot, so even during the day should be good. The more time in the park, the more opportunities you have to see a wide variety of animals in various situations.

>>>>2 nights Mopani, as Olifants was booked out already now.

I would recommend Letaba over Mopani. You can easily reach Olifants for a nice meal with a few and can reach Mopani also if you choose to go that way.

Others can speak to lodges which serve game. You can also get game at some of the stores in Kruger restcamps and braai it yourself at night.

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
63 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 nights in August

Thanks for the infos! Hope to hear something about nice more luxurious accomodations, as we would love to mix it a bit with the more basic ones we have booked so far inside the park

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
484 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 nights in August

Skukuza to Mopani is quite a drive. 210 km per the maps book. but feels a lot more if you encounter traffic from animals, pit stops, lunch break etc.

I recommend the Letaba option mentioned. Also the "luxury" option in Sanparks is pretty much more bed rooms and a bigger villa; you still eat at the restaurants or cook for yourselves

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
63 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 nights in August

That is why we would like to stay the other 4 nights outside Kruger, to get better accomodation and food. Not that we do not look forward for what we get inside, but we would like to mix both a bit.

The drive Mopani-Skukuza is 4.5 hours according to google maps. Fine for us, as we plan to drive through the park the whole day anyhow

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1 417 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 nights in August

At typical game driving speeds of 25km/h, 210 km will take 8.5hrs.

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
63 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 nights in August

So you say it is wrong what Google maps tells me? I have never been there,so such info is clearly welcome. I am just used to quite correct info wherever I used google maps so far

Is your estimation based on own experience or just the calculation with 25 kmh? As mentioned we dont mind driving all day, but if there is a real risk that we do not make it between breakfast at Mopani and gate closing at Skukuza I would clearly be worried

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1 417 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 nights in August

Google maps bases its times on the maximum speed allowed which is 50km on the tarred roads. However, it's hard to keep up that speed in the park. You will be stopping to view game and occasionally you will hit jams - either other cars or animals on the road which simply prevent you from moving. We average around 25km/h when travelling in the park - you will have to make a concerted effort to go much faster. And if you do go fast, you won't see anything as game spotting is only possible at lower speeds.

I have my map book beside me right now - it states the distance is 222km and that you need to allow 8h50 at 25km/h on the shortest route.

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
63 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 nights in August

Ok, thanks. Will think about replanning then. Still would be nice to get info on the days we plan around the park, but we have some months ahead, so I think I have time to read more reviews ;-)

California
Level Contributor
625 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 nights in August

I agree with Sandsy40. You can't use google maps times in the park because you're there to see the animals. We always stop a lot. I love all of the animals include the herbivores, and you see them all over the place. If there is a herd of elephants eating, we stop to watch them -- even more so at waterholes when they're playing in the water. There may be kudu grazing, and I enjoy watching them. The horns on the males are gorgeous, and the females are fun to watch with their big ears. And then there's the zebra, and the giraffes, and the waterbuck. And we stop for the various birds -- everything from vultures to eagles to the smaller ones.

You want to leave yourself enough time to see and enjoy the animals. Plus meals in the park are not quick. And getting out at picnic sites and walking around a bit is fun. You might get to see the birds, monkeys, and bushbuck up close. This all takes time to really enjoy. It's no fun to rush to make the gate closing although I've done it when we see good sighting after good sighting.

We drive all day every day, but we don't drive lots of miles. It's actually a good day when we haven't driven a lot because there were so many enjoyable sightings.

And I would definitely encourage you to get out as close to gate opening as possible. You will thus maximize your chance of seeing more predators. Plan breakfast a couple of hours down the road. If you do choose to stay at Mopani, plan breakfast at Olifants.

Edited: 26 March 2017, 02:05
Reply to: 8 nights in August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park