We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodge Options

Shelton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Lodge Options

Hi all! We have narrowed down our options for a 3-4 night stay in December 2017 to a few lodges, but are having an impossible time deciding between them. Our priority is game viewing and authenticity of the lodge - being able to view game from our deck and/or the main lodge would be incredible! Right now, we are between Kambaku River Sands, Arathusa, and Motswari Geiger's Camp, with the Game Lodge as a back up if they are full. Those are our "mid-range" options. If we go for our higher range options, we are between Chitwa and Makanyi, both which offer pay-3-stay-4 deals.

Would appreciate some feedback on the differences between each of the lodges/your recommendations for best overall experience (food, service, accommodations, game viewing). Also, whether you think its worth the extra budget (~$1000) to go for one of the more expensive lodges for an extra night.

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 19 March 2017, 03:43
4 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
2 619 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodge Options

Your mid range options are all pretty great! You'll need to choose between the intimacy of Geigers, the tented experience at Kambaku and the waterhole from your chalet porch at Arathusa. I'd be very happy at all three. Some believe the game viewing in Sabi Sand (Arathusa) is best in the area but the reserves are pretty even in most respects. I love tents but in the summer it won't make much difference with the air con blocking the bush sounds. Tough choice - but you can't choose a bad one!

Authenticity? What's your feeling about that? It's pretty hard to define. For me, the more rustic and the fewer frills, more about the wildlife than the spa, more laid back, dining under the stars, the more authentic. For others, it's exactly the opposite - over the top service, food on China with real silver, a spa treatment out in the bush...

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodge Options

A real experience would be Kruger proper for me

Shelton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodge Options

@cbir - Thanks for the advice. Is Kambaku tented?? I didn't think so from looking at pictures/reading reviews.

As far as authenticity goes, we definitely fall into the former category rather than the latter. More laid back, dinner outside, don't need anything over the top. Staying in Kruger proper is not an option for us this trip for a few different reasons. I think based on this, we've eliminated our more expensive options (Chitwa and Makanyi) as we don't really see the need to spend the extra money.

So... as between Motswari Geiger's, Kambaku, or Motswari Game Lodge??

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
2 619 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodge Options

I keep mixing up some lodges... Sorry.

Kambaku has a combo special for River Sands and Lodge. If Geigers is more the experience you want over Motswari (or vice verse), I'd narrow those down. Then decide between the remaining two. Honest - you can't go wrong.

Reply to: Lodge Options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted