We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rest Camps Advise for first timers

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
715 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rest Camps Advise for first timers

Hi, I am planning for a June 2018 KNP visit for our family (3 to 5 active adults). After reading posts and guide books, I am hoping to do the self-drive route. For about 7 days, where would you recommend for lodgings for first time safari visitors? How many days in each rest camp? Seeing games, beautiful nature, and convenience to stores/restaurants would be our priority. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 120 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rest Camps Advise for first timers

2 nights each Skukuza, Satara and Lower Sabie and the final night at either Bergendal or Pretoriuskop. All large cams in good game viewing areas, with on site restaurants and gift shop.

California
Level Contributor
651 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rest Camps Advise for first timers

The above would be a good itinerary. They're all good camps.

>>>>Seeing games, beautiful nature, and convenience to stores/restaurants would be our priority. Thanks

If you want to branch out, though, know that the smaller camps may really not be too far from stores or restaurants either. For example, on our first trip and every one since, we've stayed in the Tamboti tented camp. Every tent faces outward (perimeter tent). If you want to get away from it all and feel like you're out in the bush, it's a very nice camp. There is no store or restaurant, but Satara is only an hour away. You can easily eat there or pick something up there to eat at Tamboti. We leave each morning as soon as the gate opens, so even when we stay at a camp with a restaurant, we don't eat before we leave (and the restaurants aren't open then anyway). So we'll eat brunch somewhere else and then often stop mid afternoon for another meal. That way we miss the crowds at the restaurants (which are not known for speedy service). During the day we supplement with snacks like nuts or things from our cooler.

So even staying at Tamboti, we have the convenience of restaurants and picnic areas throughout the day for meals -- or we can BBQ when we get back to Tamboti. And I like spending a few nights in a quieter camp like Tamboti.

It's really very easy to have the conveniences of the big camps from any camp given that you can pretty much always get to a main camp or picnic area within about two hours regardless of where you are in Kruger.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rest Camps Advise for first timers

Excellent, thank you both for your advise, and I appreciate the tips on more remote camp. I think we'd give that a try for a couple nights.

A couple more questions - I believe the earliest I could book on SANparks website is 12 months ahead - meaning for June 15, 2018, I could access booking on June 15, 2017?

- driving from JNB to Kruger NP rather than flying is a reasonable and safe option?

California
Level Contributor
651 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rest Camps Advise for first timers

SANparks bookings open 11 months in advance (the first day of the month). So for June, bookings will open in July of the previous year.

And yes, it's perfectly reasonable and safe to drive from JNB. I've done it multiple times. I think it's the most common way. It's best not to drive after dark, though. Most roads aren't lit, and animals and such can be hard to see/avoid.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rest Camps Advise for first timers

as mentioned earlier, the reservations open 11 months ahead. For June 2017 trip, i logged in July 1st and the web site was not very responsive, on July 2nd when i tried, i could not get the reservation i wanted at Lower Sabie. So there is big demand even 11 months ahead.

Last time we visited we stayed 1 night in each camp, Biyamiti, Tamboti, Satara, Shimuwini, Letaba, Satara. It was too much work packing every day. So the advice to be 2 nights in each camp is a good one.

I would try to squeeze in Letaba in there as the terrain in the north-central region is different from the rest of the proposed itinerary.

Staying in the smaller bush camps - Biyamiti, Tamboti, Talamati - is also very good suggestion.

For my upcoming june trip my itinerary is 2 nights each at Pretoriouskop, Talamati, Letaba, Satara, Lower Sabie

Good luck

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rest Camps Advise for first timers

duncanblizzard and Rob, thank you both.

Reply to: Rest Camps Advise for first timers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted