We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FIrst time in Kruger

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
FIrst time in Kruger

Hi,

We are one adult, one senior and one teen visiting Kruger for the first time and are planning to go on a budget 3 day 2 night safari. Red Africa Tours` package seems suitable for us. They are offering 1 night in Lower Sabie or Skukuza and 1 night in Pretoriuskop or Berg & Dal.

1- Has anyone used this agency before? Any comments? Is it customary for them to ask for the full cost of safari 30 days prior to the actual trip?

2- Since we have a time limitation I couldn`t decide on the options - morning walk vs morning drive or full day game drive vs panoramic route, any recommendations?

3- How cold does it get at night at the beginning of May? We have one night in lodge and one night in tent. Would it be too cold to stay in tent?

Thanks for the answers.

Serra

7 replies to this topic
Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2 707 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FIrst time in Kruger

Why don't you hire a car and self drive through Kruger - it would be more flexible and more fun.

If you're going only for 2 nights then stay in 1 camp only.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FIrst time in Kruger

Thanks for the info Rainman. I didn`t consider self driving because is our first time, we don`t know our way around, and our time is limited so we didn`t want to lose a lot of time trying to find out where the animals are. Plus it is a long drive from Johannesburg where we are staying so I thought it would be easier to do it via an agency I found on www.safaribookings.com

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
428 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FIrst time in Kruger

I've never used Red Africa so I can't comment. I did have a look at their website and it appears they don't use open safari vehicles so I wouldn't like that. I've gone with Wild Wings before and enjoyed it. They use open vehicles, cook for you, and you stay in the park lodging (not tents).

The weather will be very cool overnight and on early morning game drives, so dress in layers. A tent would be ok. I would also suggest you do the all day game drives given your limited amount of time.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FIrst time in Kruger

Thanks Kaye Kaye,

They do offer open vehicle game drives and accomodation is rondavel. I looked at the tours offered by Wild Wings but they don`t seem to have night game drives which we would like to experience.

Serra

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
428 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FIrst time in Kruger

The night drives are only available through the National park. You can book them from camp no matter which company you choose.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FIrst time in Kruger

Thats good to know, thanks Kaye Kaye

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4 814 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FIrst time in Kruger

Hi there Serra

How is your planning going, have you made a decision whether to drive or use a tour yet?

If you drive as suggested, you will have so much more flexibility, and will not lose time at all, quite the opposite IMHO, it means of course you can spend much longer driving if you choose, and you will be able to get to sightings not seen by the tour jeeps. And I can assure you wherever there is one of these jeeps, you will be able to see the exact same sighting as you drive up to it. You will be out on the best roads game driving as much as you want, and it sounds like with limited time, you really need to maximize this driving time. However if you have decided to drive you need to be looking at the official Sanparks website for endless info on camps and so much more, have you browsed there yet…

https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/

Reply to: FIrst time in Kruger
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park