We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4 814 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

At the risk of being howled down just I am sorry to bring up the discussion from a couple of years ago making tourists aware of some of what goes on in Greater Kruger.

The last discussion was titled Trophy Hunting in the Timbavati.

Not a popular subject but something some tourists may like to know, since many take an interest in the ''Big Tuskers"

https:/…

In Summary...

For those unaware of this arrangement, the latest hunting quota application by Timbavati, Klaserie, Balule and Umbabat might come as a shock. It includes 193 buffalo (including 76 classic bulls), 34 elephants (including a super tusker), two white rhinos, two lions, two leopards (despite a national moratorium on hunting leopards), 29 kudu, 5,162 impala, 25 waterbuck, 10 hippos and a hyena, a giraffe, a zebra and a wildebeest. It also requests the capture of 30 white rhino and eight hippos. As in the past, many of the carcasses will probably go to Timbavati’s abattoir, which presently sells impala and buffalo meat

49 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 385 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

Wow I was in total ignorance. I am appalled.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

The Sandmans make a good point - yet again. It has been brought up in these forums many times over the years that the Timbavati Private Reserve - and very many other private facilities all over the country - support hunting. As shown here on an almost industrial scale.

Tourists go .... tut, tut, tut ..... and five minutes later go on booking their luxury "Safaris". Close your eyes while you are sipping your martinis or having a luxury spa bath and the killing (almost) doesn't happen!

The agents and tour operators continue to promote the Timbavati reserve as part of, as they like to call it, "Kruger". It is not! If visitors to South Africa want to support and see South African wildlife in its natural situation - safe from the hunters rifles -. then support South African National Parks and just actually visit Kruger National Park itself - all two million hectares of it! The article tries to link SANParks to hunting but clearly it does NOT own the Timbavati Land or any other PRIVATE Reserve - the clue is in the name!

Hunting is not yet Illegal in South Africa - nor in most other countries in the world - so all SANParks can do is ban it in the parks we, as South Africans, own publicly, and to try and regulate it on Private land.

Edited: 09 March 2017, 18:16
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
2 863 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

I'll never understand how the private reserves are allowed to kill Kruger Park animals. But they are - and I'm not sure why the reserves want to make the wildlife scared of humans - they make their money off of live animals 51 weeks of the year. It's just not enough. Most private reserves around the country have hunts and all manage their populations. They're fenced, not perfect ecosystems.

But the outrage is really the individuals they choose. Elephants aren't reproducing until those tusks finally start to grow to be "big tuskers". Same with all of them. If we continue to kill the most "impressive specimens", it waters down the gene pool. Humans have affected evolution by their choice of individuals to hunt.

I can't be a big hypocrite about it. Wolves just lost their protected status in the Rocky Mountains - so are now shoot on sight - and Americans kill everything they can. For some reason, people like to shoot stuff. I'll never understand it.

Feeding people is always the excuse. It's about the money. And humans love to kill beautiful things, not protect them.

4. Re: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 March 2017, 23:23

5. Re: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 March 2017, 19:25
Edited: 10 March 2017, 19:25

san francisco
Level Contributor
702 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

Was not aware of that. It sickens me to hear people hunt and kill these beautiful animals that we all love to see. I don't know how they can look an animal in the eye and justify killing it so sad

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

thesandsmans

I have been planning a trip for South Africa for the past few weeks with all the helpful comments from posters such as yourself, cbir and many others. And I can't thank you enough for posting this. This is truly sickening information but I'm glad I read it before I booked any lodges in those private reserves (which I was about to!).

Which leads me to the following question (and I'm sorry for hijacking this thread). Are there any private reserves which do not allow hunting? My wife isn't to keen on SANParks accomodations, so we had been considering a couple of nights on a private game lodge, but after reading the article I'm wary of picking just any lodge.

cbir, I have seen you recommend Rhino River Lodge on other threads, and it's my understanding that they actively support Rhino Conservation. Does their reserve allow hunting? Thanks in advance.

Toronto
Level Contributor
366 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

I too, am very surprised. Thank you for the head’s up, Sandmans.

From the article “Apart from deferring the rhino quota and a warning that there is a moratorium on leopard hunting, Kruger signed off on the quota.”

Well, at the very least Kruger is not allowing hunts on these species.

Ian

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1 461 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

I'm not condoning the killing of a tusker and hope that will not happen but the reality is that many reserves and parks, including Kruger and the surrounds, around the world use culling of animals as a conservation method.

While we don't have to like that there are culls, we do have to acknowledge that it is a recognized conservation method. The debate has raged for years as to whether it is an effective conservation method or not. Similarly, there are those that believe it should only be resorted to as a last resort or under extreme circumstances.

I certainly don't profess to know enough to condemn all culls and their proponents. There are articles that reference the monies from the sanctioned culls pay for the annual anti-poaching budgets of the respective reserves and parks.

And yes, there have been culls within Kruger park proper too. As recently as this past year there were culls due to the drought. https:/…

Internet searches will turn up other articles about culls around the world both in public parks and on private lands and of several different species.

I think it would be naïve to think that the four named reserves are the only places where culls take place.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
2 863 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

Stanley - I have no idea what you are talking about. That's all you have to contribute?

wanderingattorney - you are incorrect on too much. The Kruger ecosystem is very healthy and when it is not, like during the recent drought, is handled by SANParks. If they got permission to remove their fences and be open to Kruger Park, like the four named reserves have done, hunting should have ended. It's not about the health of the ecosystem, it's entirely about the money. We are not talking about other reserves - just unfenced greater Kruger reserves. A tusker is your only issue here? How about the white rhinos that millions of Rand are spent to protect annually or the leopard or any of the other "trophies" that are being killed for the money? First, it's not a cull...

Reply to: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park