We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Durban and Umhlanga

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
6 helpful votes
How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Save

HI All

And apologies if I'm appearing as a ignorant so and so, We are planning a 3 week trip to South Africa and are planning to stay a week in Umhlanga. We have been warned about the personal safety issues of Jo berg. We would like to check that this is not the case in Durban and the area around Umhlanga. Do we have to get a taxi from point to point or can we walk or take public transport.

Rich

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
6 helpful votes
11. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Save

Hi

We really enjoyed Umhlanga and it was perfectly safe to walk around even late at night. We went into Durban a couple of times and although we felt safe the city itself seemed quite rundown. While in Umblanga we went to Kwa Zula and the Drakensberg Mountains which I would recommend if your in the area.

Rich

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
2 325 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
12. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Save

I spent 5 weeks in Durban recently, and did not feel unsafe at any time.

The city centre, in Smith St and West St, has become a bit run down. I think this is because the many new shopping centres that have opened in recent years, in the suburbs, have taken business away.

Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
6 578 posts
13. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Save

New Years - With crowds around, there are very unlikely to be any issues with safety. There is generally safety in numbers.

New Years Day, when absolutely everyone goes to the beach, can be a bit of a problem, if they don't control the drinking.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
524 posts
7 reviews
27 helpful votes
14. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Save

I'm considering a trip to Durban and found this thread interesting as I live in Baltimore and never feel unsafe...I guess that perceptions are everything! :) It seems that advice to be street smart is applicable around the world...I look forward to visiting South Africa, Durban in particular.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2 096 posts
75 reviews
33 helpful votes
15. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Save

Bill Bonner lived in Baltimore for over 20 yrs. Seems he saw/sees a different city to you. Pople's perceptions def vary. You def won't feel unsafe in Durbs.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
19 helpful votes
16. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Save

Avoid beach front day and nights esp Durban as it joins the city the city is a total no go ! Avoid public transport it's risky , Musgrave mall was OK ! All in all forget about Durban

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
19 helpful votes
17. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Save

Avoid beach front day and nights esp Durban as it joins the city the city is a total no go ! Avoid public transport it's risky , Musgrave mall was OK ! All in all forget about Durban

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3 298 posts
18. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Save

Avoiding the beachfront will leave plenty of room for the other thousands of people, including ordinary families, who will be there in Dec/Jan enjoying themselves over the main holiday season. UShaka is one of the main tourist attractions and is on the sea front in Durban. We often drive down to the beach front, park up and meander along the promenade. No issues in nearly 30 years. I agree that the cIty centre has changed a lot in that time with developments such as the Pavillion providing a more sanitised shopping experince. However, some folks like to feel like they are in Africa rather than just some other old Mall in the western world. Need to be streetwise but that is much the same for tourists in most busy cities.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3 298 posts
19. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Save

We do sometimes use public transport, including the Mynah buses. They run along the sea front and main tourist strip. We have used the train into the city. However, we avoid the local minibus "taxis". You can also use cabs if you need to.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1 410 posts
3 reviews
20. Re: How safe is Durban and Umhlanga
Save

Durban Beach over Christmas and New year is packed and I mean packed and you cant even get a space of the sand to sit It is school holidays as well as a lot of workers have from the 16th December as their annual leave and as the beach is inexpensive and close by the folk flock down by bus to enjoy the day out ... The traffic department have nightmares where to park all the buses and so on and with so many on the beach the life guards have an exhausting time keeping the swimmers in check ( there can be some nasty side washes ) So many of children get separated from their parents. Rather go to Umhlanga and there are crowds there but not such a crush ....

Get answers to your questions about Durban
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.