We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?

Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?

My daughters and I (three women) want to visit Lion Park when we are in Sandton this June. The only available time we can be there is between 2-6pm, then we will drive back to Sandton in the hotel close to the train station. The driving route indicates taking R512/Malibongwe Dr., and then William Nicol Dr. Given it is winter, getting dark early in the evening, can someone tell me if this route is safe for three women to drive in the dark? We want to visit the Lion Park, but if we have to drive through any rough neighborhood in the evening, we’d rather be safe not to go. Would like to check anyone who knows the neighborhoods or had experience of this driving route to give us a local safety advice or any suggested safer route. Thank you in advance for your help.

9 replies to this topic
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 145 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?

The only danger will be heavy traffic and crazy driving. But please don't consider visiting the Lion Park.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29374…

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2 861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?

Please read the above link. Lion cub petting and these 'parks' breeding predators are linked to the canned hunting industry. The cubs you pet or look at will end their lives in an enclosure somewhere so some moron can shoot them and cart their 'trophy' home. It is a sick and degenerate industry.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?

I have encouraged a few people on here to drive around JHB, but I will be honest, that road isn't great (area wise) and it is also a dark road, mix that with traffic/bad driving on that particular stretch of road, I will have to also encourage you to steer clear, albeit for different reasons than the previous posts.

All alternative roads are either equally dodgy or add so much extra travel time and distance that it isn't even feasible to be honest. I understand the appeal for visitors to do this, my only recommendation to you is that if you can be there at 2pm, spend little time and leave at 4:30 - 5 at the latest. This will however put you in the middle of horrendous Johannesburg traffic.

Did you have any alternative activities in mind?

Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?

Thank all of you for the helpful advice. After reading your responses, we have decided to cancel our trip to the Lion Park. Think that is the right thing to demonstrate we want all animals well protected, or at least, not harmed by human. Thank you all!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
151 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?

How wonderful. All my best wishes for a fantastic trip.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2 861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?

Great decision. Thank you so much!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
431 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?

Awesome decision. Have a great trip.

TX
Level Contributor
526 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?

Informed decision = awesome decision. Very happy to see the forums functioning in this fashion!

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1 929 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?

So happy to see that you cancelled your Lion Park trip - you guys ROCK!

Reply to: Is it safe to drive from Lion Park to Sandton in evening?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sandton