We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandton to The Wanderers

Luton, UK
Level Contributor
383 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Sandton to The Wanderers

Hi

Am looking to visit Jo'burg for the test match in Jan 2016. Am thinking that Sandton would be the best place to stay (but open to suggestions??). How accessible is the Wanderers from Sandton and what method should I take ie taxi etc?

Many thanks

Stew

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 338 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandton to The Wanderers

Assuming the Sandton CBD, highly accessible. Just a couple of kilometres down Rivonia Road.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8 671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandton to The Wanderers

There's a Protea hotel very close by - called the Protea Hotel Wanderers.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 338 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandton to The Wanderers

Yes I did think of adding my opinion that Illovo/Melrose/Birnam is a nicer area to stay. As far as accommodation goes the Peech is also pretty close to the Wanderers and there are presumably a couple of guest houses in the vicinity. And Melrose Arch of course, but that's probably much the same distance in another direction as the nearer reaches of Sandton. In fact, in that area you're spoiled for choice.

Edited: 26 July 2015, 06:37
Luton, UK
Level Contributor
383 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandton to The Wanderers

Thank you guys - I did look at the Protea which appears to be on the doorstep. My only concern was whether there was anything else close by in terms of shopping / restaurants etc?

Are the other places you mention the sorts of areas that are 'visitor friendly' in terms of dining out etc?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
33 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandton to The Wanderers

Both Melrose Arch and Rosebank Mall/The Zone are just a few minutes away by taxi.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 338 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandton to The Wanderers

Melrose Arch melrosearch.co.za is a thoroughly artificial, but pleasant, gated precinct containing two (Protea) hotels, business premises, and a large shopping mall. Lots of places to eat - mostly the same chain restaurants one finds in central Sandton. The Peech has (I think) its own well-regarded restaurant. Near Melrose Arch is the blubird Centre blubird.co.za - more chain restaurants and, just before I moved out of the area, one of Jhb's food doyens opened a bistro - Bistro Michel. I don't know more about it than that. Near the Wanderers is the Thrupps Centre: supermarket, pharmacy, at least one bank, two good franchise restaurants and the well-reviewed Rabbit in the Moon. thruppsillovocentre.co.za . On the other side of the Wanderers is the little Wrenrose Centre which has two coffee shop / bistro type places - leafy, and very pleasant on a warm evening. Lots of other restaurants in Illovo. I used to patronise Sophia's Bistro in Illovo Square a lot but it's been a while so I don't know what they are like these days.

Edited: 27 July 2015, 07:53
Luton, UK
Level Contributor
383 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandton to The Wanderers

Thank you guys - that makes it so much clearer now

8. Re: Sandton to The Wanderers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2017, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Sandton