We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxis available from Gautrain station in Sandton?

Which Sandton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alameda,CA
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
taxis available from Gautrain station in Sandton?

My husband & I will take the Gautrain from O.R. Tambo airport to our hotel in Sandton (Garden Court Sandton City), at the corner of West & Maude Streets. I note that the Gautrain station is at West & Rivonia Rd, so it looks like we can just walk up West St from the station to our hotel. Does anyone know how far that is? We'll arrive in the evening (after dark) -- from what I've read, this area sounds safe. We'll be traveling light, so can manage our luggage if it's not too far a walk. If it turns out that due to distance and/or safety factors it's advisable to take a taxi from the Gautrain station to our hotel, are taxis readily available at the station?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxis available from Gautrain station in Sandton?

There are usually many taxis and tuk tuks outside the station. Also check with your hotel, they may have a shuttle that you can use. Taxis won't be hassled to drive you the short distance either.

I'm hesitant to say it's ok to walk, but you could. however taking a taxi will give someone money that wouldn't get it otherwise.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 087 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxis available from Gautrain station in Sandton?

I would take a taxi. It is not a long walk but at night I don't think I would do it, especially for the sake of a couple of dollars. Always plenty of cabs at the station.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 011 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxis available from Gautrain station in Sandton?

Plus which, you'd shorten the life of your luggage trundling it along the pavement.

When you say after dark, you do mean before 8:30 pm, which is when the Gautrain stops running? Btw, the app displays the timetables nice and clearly.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: taxis available from Gautrain station in Sandton?

Most hotels offer shuttles to and from the Gautrain Station, just double check with your hotel if they do too....

5. Re: taxis available from Gautrain station in Sandton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2016, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Sandton