We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

London, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

Hi,

A friend and I are staying 2 nights in Sandton before flying to Windhoek, we've seen these 2 b&b on tripadvisor list which are within out budget and both look quite nice. We would like it to be easy to get to/from the airport (we would like to take the train) and also near shopping/restaurant areas to go out for dinner.

Which one of these would be best? Is the area nice/safe for 2 women to walk around? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

20 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

Sorry I meant the Radisson Blu.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

There are two Radisson Blu's near the Gautrain - one is called the Gautrain hotel and is opposite the entrance to Sandton station, the other one is just down the road and simply called Radisson Blu. Opposite the latter Radisson is mushroom park which has a tethered hot air balloon.

If you aren't looking for nightlife and just want to take it easy then Sandton is a convenient option. Otherwise I'd strongly recommend staying in Melville, however that will not be convenient for the train at all.

Parkmore is also nice, but you will need a taxi from the Gautrain station (or have the guest house organise something for you). Its not far, but I think that would be easier.

London, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

It's the Raddisson Blu Gautrain the one I'm looking at. We don't want a nightlife, just to be able to walk to an area with shops/restaurants for lunch/dinner.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
844 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

A friend's son just stayed at the Radisson Blu Gautrain on business choosing it for the same reasons as you. However the hotel told him it was not safe to walk to restaurants ect for dinner but they provide a frequent shuttle bus to Sandton City Mall where most restaurants are ( a journey of about 2 mins) He felt he had no choice but take the advice as they were so emphatic about it.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 147 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

However small the distance, I also don't feel happy walking any of central Sandton's streets once the office workers have gone home. The whole area gets very empty. During the day is ok provided you take due cognisance of the homicidal traffic I mentioned earlier in this thread. As a pedestrian, never assume you will be given way to, regardless of you having right of way.

London, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

Thanks to all, I booked the Radisson Blu Gautrain today, I got a very good price with the free shuttle to the mall.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3 748 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

is there a 'tourist' area in Johannesburg? i.e. where it is safe to walk around the area day and night?

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 147 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

The thing about Jhb is that, despite there being quite a bit for tourists to do, it's a working city rather than a tourist destination per se. It's also ery motorised.

Having said that, safe areas day and night: Melrose Arch (completely artificial but pleasant enough); Rosebank (Firs, Zone and Mall); Parkhurst in the vicinity of the 4th Avenue shops and restaurants (I think); some say Melville; any shopping mall with cinemas.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 16:23
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3 748 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

many thanks Auntie, that has made Johannesburg more clear.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 147 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

eatout.co.za/article/…

gem, I've just came across this which may be of interest.

Reply to: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sandton