We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

London, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

Hi,

A friend and I are staying 2 nights in Sandton before flying to Windhoek, we've seen these 2 b&b on tripadvisor list which are within out budget and both look quite nice. We would like it to be easy to get to/from the airport (we would like to take the train) and also near shopping/restaurant areas to go out for dinner.

Which one of these would be best? Is the area nice/safe for 2 women to walk around? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

20 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

There are too many B&Bs in the Sandton area. Sandton is a vast area with many suburbs within in.

To have a little more luck in getting an answer, perhaps you can provide the addresses and suburbs in which these two are in.

London, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

Mizizi is on 4th street (2km from train station), Claires is on 8th st, a bit further north, near George Lea Park. (4 km to train station). The area on google maps is called Parkmore. I've also found one which is only 350 mts from the train station and the Nelson Mandela square, in Maude street.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

Both are in the suburb of Parkmore. Nice and leafy but I'm not sure where you'd walk around *to*. It would certainly be a bad idea to do so at night. You'd have to take a taxi from the station to the guesthouse and probably everywhere else you wanted to go, unless the guesthouse has an arrangement where it lays on transport.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

Sorry, I belatedly noticed you know the name of the suburb. There's quite a nice small shopping mall called Benmore Gardens in Parkmore which has a couple of nice shops and a number of chain restaurants. Unless it has closed, there is also a restaurant in the suburb, Thomas Maxwell, which has been there since the dawn of time. I've never been there myself but I notice it gets mixed reviews. I'm not sure you would be wise to walk there of an evening although lunch time should be fine.

I don't think there are any guest houses in Maud Street. Are you not perhaps looking at the Balalaika Hotel? I wouldn't consider staying there at present because there are a few major construction projects happening in the vicinity - one of them right next door.

To be honest, central Sandton, while convenient, is a very sterile place, full of ever-larger office blocks, construction sites (more office blocks in the making), chain hotels and homicidal traffic. Apart from one little park, the malls are imo the only places where one can walk around in comfort - assuming one can be bothered to. My advice fwiw is to go with a suburban guest house - one of these or another - and resign yourselves to being driven around. (Afterthought:if on one of their routes and if using the train, you could use a Gautrain bus. Check the website).

London, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, it's the Balalaika hotel the one I saw, I thought it was close enough to walk to the train station and maybe some places for shopping/dinner. I'll check the gautrain buses to see if any of the guest houses are on their routes, are these buses safe & convenient?

Is there any other place you would recommend we stay? We are there just for 2 nights but we would like to be able to go out safely and have an easy way to get to/from the airport.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

I don't have any specific suggestions for alternatives, I'm afraid. Some posters on here suggest Melville but I don't myself have any recent experience of the area.

The Gautrain buses are perfectly safe but I think (open to correction so do see what the website says) can only be used if you are also using the train so would only be useful if for example you wanted to get to Park Station to pick up the hoho sightseeing bus.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
848 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

For a choice of really good guesthouses have a look at www.sandtonexclusive,com we always use this website for our choice of where to stay in Sandton. The website has a map on i. of where all the establishments are as well as 14 day availability. All the ones we have stayed at provide transport on request if needed. Presently we very much like Ashdown House in Bryanston.. Claires of Sandton is also included on their list

Edited: 16 August 2014, 11:19
Paris, France
Level Contributor
848 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

correction to above www.sandtonexclusive.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

I checked the buses and there's a route going along Sandton Rd, which would be convenient for Mizizi. The website also says you need a gold card to use the bus, it says nothing about the train (although we are using the train to go to the airport). We are there sat/sun, would the building works be a problem during the weekend? We are going on a tour on sunday but they will pick us up, not doing anything else during the weekend (apart from resting from 2 very long flights to get there

Edit: The bus does not work on weekends :(

Edited: 16 August 2014, 19:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton

I've just seen the Holiday Inn in Rivonia Rd which is also within our budget, would this be a good location..?

Reply to: Mizizi/Claires of Sandton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sandton