We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

London, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

I'm going to be staying for a couple of nights in Sandton and would like to visit NMS just for a look around during an afternoon. It's about a 20 minute walk from my hotel, would i be safe during the day to walk it? it's a pretty straight route. First time to South Africa, just wondering how safe it would be during the day for a lone female.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

14 replies to this topic
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 164 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

《The safety zone starts from closer to the centre》

I disagree.

London, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

Thanks for your reply...this has already been done! It was a month ago and i did walk from the hotel to Nelson Mandela square and back again and had absolutely no problems whatsoever! It was during the day and i felt safe. There were many people around. Thank you.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 164 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

Hooray :-) ! Thank you for coming back to put the above scare-mongering in its place. I'm glad you are able to do what you wanted. And what DID you think of the statue?

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
89 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

Take a taxi. Don't worry.

And from Sandton station (2 minutes by walk from Nelson Madela Square) take also the Gautrain and go to Rosebank for the shopping, restaurants, etc... Is very safe this solution.

Reply to: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sandton