We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

London, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

I'm going to be staying for a couple of nights in Sandton and would like to visit NMS just for a look around during an afternoon. It's about a 20 minute walk from my hotel, would i be safe during the day to walk it? it's a pretty straight route. First time to South Africa, just wondering how safe it would be during the day for a lone female.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

14 replies to this topic
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

Perfectly safe barring pedestrian-unfriendly traffic. Which hotel will you be at?

London, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

I'll be at the Town Lodge.

Thank you for your reply 😊

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

Hmm ... other side of Grayston Drive ... I don't know if the Sandton Central security guards operate there, but I don't think it's unsafe. Be extremely careful crossing Grayston: it's a very busy road, few drivers give way to pedestrians when turning, and minibus taxi drivers ignore every road rule ever invented!

I have to say that the Sandton Fake Tuscan mall formerly known as Michelangelo Square (I assume its rebranding was to capitalise on Mandela's name) is one of my least favourite places: it's just so vulgar. But it's somewhere to kill some time, do some shopping, have a meal, etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

If worse comes to worse I'll grab a cab as it's only about 7 mins! I just wanted to go have a look while I have the opportunity and take a picture of the statue!

If I decide to walk I'll be aware of the traffic! Thank you for your help.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

That statue is a large part of why I hate the mall: apart from the vulgarity of its size, it has the most vacuous Jim-comes-to-Joburg grin on its dial that I think is an insult to Madiba's memory!

But don't let my prejudices dissuade you: see what you think :-)

Winter Park...
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

Rather see if you can go and take pictures of the statue at the Union Buildings in Pretoria

London, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

Lol :-)

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
684 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

You can safely walk to the Square. But note that there's construction every meter between the hotel and the square, so won't be a pleasant walk.

And please don't judge us by that statue, it's the most hideous.

London, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

I think I may end up getting a cab! And of course...no judgement! I love South Africans 😊

Thank you for your reply.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square

Do not walk from Town Lodge. Take an Uber; less than $5 USD. The safety zone starts from closer to the centre. A cab will be about $20.

Reply to: Walking to Nelson Mandela Square
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sandton