We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg Metro Police - Bribes - BEWARE!!

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Johannesburg Metro Police - Bribes - BEWARE!!
Save

We (my wife son and I) recently returned to South Africa for a holiday - the first time after emigrating 10 years ago. I was driving along Witkoppen Road, back to where we are staying, after spending the Friday evening out visiting friends in nearby Northern suburbs. I suddenly had blue flashing lights in my rear view mirror. I pulled over. Two Johannesburg Metro Policemen approached my car and said that I have to do a breathalyser test. I was fine with that because I'd had one beer all night. The one "policeman" then informed me that even one beer can push me over the limit and that he would then have to arrest me and I would spend the weekend in jail and have to go to court on Monday. Bail, he informed me, was R3500. They checked my Australian drivers licence. Again I was told bail was R3500. I said I'm happy to take the breathalyser. They then gave me the weekend in jail and R3500 story, again harping on the R3500 and saying that they have "told me the amount". I then realise that they are after a bribe. I checked my pocket and discovered that I had only R90 on me. They were clearly not happy. They discussed the situation in their mother tongue - I did not understand as I don't speak the language. I then became very concerned - quite scared to be honest. I'd heard all the horror stories about being chucked in jail for the weekend there. The one cop then reached into the car and as he handed me back my drivers license he grabbed the R90 out of my hand and they got back in their patrol car and drove off. The next day I discussed this with my South African street smart friends and asked then what they would have done? They informed me that this is just the normal "new South Africa" way of things. Most of them carry around R500 on them all the time "just in case". The Johannesburg Metro Police are renown for their Friday and Saturday night escapades - apparently they call it "getting their lunch money". BEWARE!! Stay away from Witkoppen Road if you are driving home on a Friday or Saturday night. This is a very sad situation - you can't even trust the "keepers of the law" any more.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
5 688 posts
11. Re: Johannesburg Metro Police - Bribes - BEWARE!!
Save

I have often encountered traffic police at the exits to the airport.

They are usually checking for valid drivers' licences, valid operating permits for vehicles conveying tourists, etc.

Nothing wrong with that, we need to get the illegals of our roads!

In my experience they have always been polite, and because my paperwork is always in order, have waved me on.

Always ensure that you adhere to the speed limits, make every stop a FULL STOP, and if pulled over, be polite, and ask the officer to write your ticket, for whatever offence you are supposed to have committed.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SPOT FINE.

If the alleged offence is genuine, you'll receive your ticket.

If the whole thing is a scam, the officer will not write a ticket... he/she does not want to get involved in the "system". They'll usually wave you on with a warning.

NEVER OFFER ANY MONEY, food, or drinks, as it could be a trap, because the person offering a bribe is also guilty of an offence, not only the person accepting the bribe, whether the bribe is in cash, or in kind.

12. Re: Johannesburg Metro Police - Bribes - BEWARE!!

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2016, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.