We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bloemfontein to Kimberly by public transport in the morning?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Bloemfontein to Kimberly by public transport in the morning?

Hello everyone!

Me and my boyfriend are soon setting off to South Africa. Although we know renting a car is the most recommended solution, we will be relying on public trasport exclusively. We have figured out how to do all our intinerary with trains and buses, but there's one piece missing in the puzzle:) Perhaps you could help me figure it out?

We will be staying for 2 nights in Bloemfontein, and afterwards in the morning we want to travel to Kimberly, check out the Big Hole and get on the train to Cape Town. The problem is, we can't google any means of transport that would go regularily on the Bloemfontein-Kimberly route. Is there perhaps some shared taxi service, or a local bus company that we could take?

We travel in a very simple way, so even if it is a very bad quality service, yet more or less reliable in terms of taking you to your destination, it would be our pick. We would be grateful for any advice on the topic.

In the worth case, we will just take a night bus from Bloemfontein straight to Cape Town, but we'd rather pass through Kimberly. I am looking forward to your suggestions!

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 911 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Bloemfontein to Kimberly by public transport in the morning?

There are no direct bus services from Bloemfontein to Kimberley. You would have to back track to Johannesburg and then get a bus to Kimberley.

There are shuttle services and mini taxis These guys advertise a service between Bloemfontein and Kimberley http://www.jomelgroup.com/bloemfontein-shuttle.php and there is also this http://www.modernoverland.com/south-africa/free-state/bloemfontein/long-distance-taxi-rank/

So all may not be lost for your planned trip to Kimberley. The drive between Bloemfontein and Kimberley is only about 2 hours. The main thing that you need to take into consideration is the time that you leave Bloemfontein and arrive in Kimberley and try and match the service you use to the day and time that you want to catch the train.

Just a work of advice about the Kimberley train station. Although it is just on the edge on the central business district there is not a lot of people around even during the daytime and at nighttime it is the proverbial "like a graveyard".

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
17 posts
2. Re: Bloemfontein to Kimberly by public transport in the morning?

Thanks so much! Is this: http://www.modernoverland.com/south-africa/free-state/bloemfontein/long-distance-taxi-rank/ the kind of place where small private buses leave on no particularly clear schedule, but still with some regularity? :)

Our train is in the evening 8 pm or so I belive, so we have no worries about catching it as long as we find just about any transportation - we just wanted to make sure we don't arrive to Kimberly only for the late afternoon, as I expect there is not that much to do there apart from the Big Hole, which closes at 4 or 5 pm.

You did scare me a bit with the graveyard-like train station part, though :). Is there any place nearby where life is going on in the early evening hours and where it is nice to wait for the train after we're done with visiting all that Kimberly has to offer?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 911 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Bloemfontein to Kimberly by public transport in the morning?

The central business district empties very quickly in the late afternoon with waves of mini taxis leaving the stands at New Main St and Bultfontein and George Street and Builtfontein. The shops close soon after.

There isn't anywhere to eat close to the station. There are a couple of places to eat in the Big Hole "town". The Big Hole does close at 17:00. Nearby there is a Steers and KFC on Bultfontein near to George Street and a Nando's on Lennox at Chapel Street. Otherwise, there isn't a lot going on

You shouldn't have too big of a problem getting a taxi from the Big Hole (or any of the restaurants) to the train station. I would aim to get to the train station for about an hour before departure. As I said you will find it very quite in and around the station but it is not a big dark scary place and you will probably find other people waiting for the same train

4. Re: Bloemfontein to Kimberly by public transport in the morning?

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

1 post
5. Re: Bloemfontein to Kimberly by public transport in the morning?

van Estelle ek verlsng die diens van n goeie huurmotor in Bfn en Later na Kimberley

Reply to: Bloemfontein to Kimberly by public transport in the morning?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bloemfontein
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.