We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road safety to east london south africa

Durban, South Africa
1 post
Road safety to east london south africa

How safe is it to travel from durban to east london. What is the best route to take

4 replies to this topic
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Road safety to east london south africa

I was going to ask something similar - whether to drive between Kokstad and Makhanda (Grahamstown) via Mthatha or futher inland via Queenstown. Someone told us that the Queenstown route is both safer and more scenic. Any thoughts?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1 283 posts
94 reviews
30 helpful votes
2. Re: Road safety to east london south africa

Either route is fine, but the N2 via Makhanda is probably the fastest. I drove that way a couple of years ago. The blog of my trip may interest you : http://www.paulkilfoil.co.za/2021-SA-2.aspx

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
113 reviews
108 helpful votes
3. Re: Road safety to east london south africa

I was planning to drive from Durban to Port Elizabeth but after researching online, seem like it is a dangerous road due to the road is twisted and turned and up and down with poor road condition so you have to drive slow. Also important to keep eyes on the animal like cows or monkey which randomly pop up on the road. Also read that driving thru Mthatha is not a good idea. Due to the traffic, some people would try to scam you to come out of the car and pay for road fee or something like that. So I changed the plan and take the flight from Durban to East London instead.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1 283 posts
94 reviews
30 helpful votes
4. Re: Road safety to east london south africa

Sorry, I misread your post - I thought you meant Cape Town to East London. It would be crazy to go to East London from Durban via Makhanda (Grahamstown)! I would just go on the N2 through Mthatha, although the inland route through Elliot and Queenstown is quite scenic.

Reply to: Road safety to east london south africa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about East London
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.