We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Tips

North Bay, Ontario...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation Tips

My husband and I are planning a 10 day vacation to the Puerto Viejo area in late November/early December. We've been to Costa Rica before, but stayed on the Pacific side. We will be flying into SJO. I understand that we are looking at a 4-5 hour drive to Puerto Viejo. We would like to have a rental vehicle. However, I am not crazy about the idea of driving that far in a foreign country that we have never driven in before! Would we be better off booking private transportation from SJO to Puerto Viejo and then renting a vehicle once we get there? Or is it easier to rent a vehicle in San Jose? Also, I've read about the white water rafting trips between the two destinations... Definitely interested in that! It seems like you can do either direction.. which way would be recommended: San Jose to Puerto Viejo to start the vacation, or Puerto Viejo to San Jose to end the vacation? We plan on staying the night in San Jose on the first and last night regardless.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
2 replies to this topic
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2 327 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Tips

There are two rental agencies in Puerto Viejo, Alamo and Adobe. I don't ind the drive from or to SJ at all but if you had rather not you have the option to do the rafting with Exploradores Outdoors with onward transportation, I believe it's $99 p/p. In that case you can rent a car with either PV or SJ as drop off. Whether at the beginning or end is up to you.

Mentioned in this post
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
7 902 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Tips

What time is your flight landing at SJO?

If not too late in the afternoon, you might not need the first night by SJO, as there are prebooked shared shuttle vans you can take. We used Interbus and PleasureRideCR. There is also Caribeshuttle.

It cost a bit over US$50 pp, delivered us right to the next hotel. We thought it was a comfortable ride with a/c. PleasureRideCR also had WiFi on the way. We could relax and not worry about Driving, weather, etc., just look around and enjoy the ride. When there were other travellers, it was fun to chat with them.

We visited S. Caribbean a couple of times and found that area easy to get around without renting a car. There are inexpensive local buses to get in between near by towns (Cahuita, Punta Uva, Manzanillo), you can rent a bike, walk, take a taxi, and if you take a tour, they pick up from your hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Cahuita
Cahuita
Punta Uva
Punta Uva
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reply to: Transportation Tips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted