We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for June

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary for June

Hi all! I have asked a few questions on here with great responses and am about to book our first trip to Costa Rica. We (husband and I) were originally planning to visit in fall, but our schedules have changed and now are planning on June so booking soon. I would love any advice on if any of this will not work or tips. Also, I know weather is unpredictable but any advice on what I need to back in June (rain gear/type of shoes?). Am I giving myself enough time for departure flight or should I stay in San Jose night before?Thanks in advance!

Day 1- Fly into San Jose at 11:45. Take shuttle at 2:30 to hotel.

Day 2- Beach day/explore town

Day 3- Jaguar Center Tour at 9:30, bike day down to Manzanillo

Day 4- Cahuita National Park tour

Day 5- Beach Day

Day 6- Shuttle at 6:30 AM, flight leaves at 1 PM.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Cahuita National Park
Cahuita National Park
2 352 Reviews
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Cahuita Boat, Snorkel and Hiking Tour
3 Reviews
US$55 per adult
Free Cancellation
Cahuita National Park Hike and...
12 Reviews
US$58 per adult
Free Cancellation
Cahuita National Park
US$100 per adult
Free Cancellation
6 replies to this topic
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2 347 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for June

Unless you take a private transfer back to the hotel you should get to San Jose a day earlier. You will need to be at the airport no later than 11 am and a shared shuttle wont make that.

Weather is very unpredictable but in June you should expect at least some good rain.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for June

Thanks! I looked and there is a 6 am shuttle, that would not get us to airport by 11? I definitely do not want to risk it so I will look into later flights or staying in San Jose.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6 802 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for June

A private driver should be able to get you there sooner than that--but a big part of that calculus is day of week. On a Sunday, not much of a problem at all--we had a little under 4 hours of time on the road. But on a weekday can be a lot worse with the traffic between San Jose and Limon.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2 347 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for June

The 6 am shuttle is definitely not getting you there at 11, 1 pm at the earliest.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 359 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for June

If your talking about taking the airport express shuttle that takes you directly to the airport (pleasure ride) I took this in September and I was the last pick up at 6:45 due to me being a bit outside of the town of Cahuita. I was the only one on the shuttle so the driver was 15 mins early and we made it to the airport 11:13 I recall just nearing the entrance with a stop for breakfast. With that being said.. if there are others to be picked up before you and are dilly daddlers or an accident on the road (which we did see one that just happened.. 5 minutes more at breakfast and what a night mare that would of been.)

My flight was originally 3:15 or so then they moved to 2:42. I had lots of time. 1pm .. I don't know if I would chance it.

Mentioned in this post
Cahuita
Cahuita
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8 588 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for June

We took a shared shuttle Interbus from Cahuita to a hotel close to SJO once. It took about 1.5 hrs longer than the estimated (!) travel time on the site! Do not travel in the morning, or leave earlier. I would go the day before. This is what we did that time. There are afternoon shuttles, too. You arrive, it will be dark, have dinner, get some rest, get unhurried breakfast in the morning, maybe take a swim or Gym, and it will be time to go to the airport. You still have the 1/2 of your last full day at the destination. Near SJO, we stayed at Adventure Inn. Free breakfast and free airport shuttle.

Edited: 28 February 2018, 01:38
Mentioned in this post
Cahuita
Cahuita
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Reply to: Itinerary for June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...