We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with little kids besides surfing?

Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
What to do with little kids besides surfing?

This is our first adventure-like trip and I am finding out that it was probably not a great idea to come to CR. Unfortunately, everything is already booked and I can’t cancel. We are off to Tamarindo tomorrow. We’ve been traveling in CR since end of May. My kids (4,9) are not into active sports. I hoped, but...no interest in surfing at all. They are scared of heights, so hiking, hanging bridges, etc are out of the picture. I’ve tried horse back riding and that didn’t work out. The kids are too scared and I ended up paying full price and not riding. My question is are there any activities that don’t include adrenalin and extended walks, kids friendly?

8 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: What to do with little kids besides surfing?

The answer is yes. You can do a tour at the Tamarindo Estuary. It's an easy boat ride, 2 hour activity to see some wildlife. You can also bring them to the monkey park wildlife refuge. Turtle watching may also be a good activity for them. I would recommend snorkeling as well but the weather is not the best right now for that.

If you need a recommendation for a sitter to watch the kids so you can enjoy other activities don't hesitate to ask.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9 415 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: What to do with little kids besides surfing?

Sorry your trip has not been going well. Hopefilly, it will either improve or you will find out that your kids are enjoying certain things without paying for organized tours and activities all the time. Not everything needs to be about heights and adrenaline. The first time on a horse can be scary when you are a kid. (I was a kid trying to ride for the first time, and I still remember thinking, "They are so big! Such huge teeth!" Etc. My coach gave me a bag of fresh carrots to feed to the horse, it ate from my hand, and it helped me be less scared...long time ago..I do not know what treat they give to horses in CR.)

Have you checked out the many reviews of various Things to Do in Tamarindo? https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g3092… . You can apply the filter "good for kids" (under Style, on the left side of the screen).

Lots of ideas for the area can be found here, incl. in the Comments section in the end: https:/… .

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 071 posts
1 review
3. Re: What to do with little kids besides surfing?

Do they not like the water at all? How about playing on the beach, making sandcastles, and jumping in the waves while they are wearing life vests ( and an adult is nearby).

If that works you can even take a drive to a beach with calmer waters than Tamarindo and they can go out far enough to float around (again with vest and adult in the water). Not much active about it but at least you're outdoors enjoying the ocean.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 02:04
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 071 posts
1 review
4. Re: What to do with little kids besides surfing?

This was the beach with the calmed waters I saw near Tamarindo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

It is the west end of Playa Conchal, but to get there you go to "Puerto Viejo"

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Puerto+Viejo/@10.3983207,-85.8218946,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8f9e3b3aa1ef3a2d:0x79fd0467a0428268!8m2!3d10.4009845!4d-85.8191389

Edited: 08 June 2018, 02:10
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
5. Re: What to do with little kids besides surfing?

Thank you! I may take them to see wildlife. We tried the turtle tour, but it was so late that by the time we got there, the kids were deep asleep. Another one I wasted money on. :(

Spending time on the beach is great, but we all get burn easily despite the fact that I apply sunscreen every 30 min. I take them early in the morning and late in the afternoon. The kids are up at 4.30-5 am normally.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 071 posts
1 review
6. Re: What to do with little kids besides surfing?

How about doing a bike tour? They should be able to offer different levels of difficulty.

This one looks good:

Tamarindo Mountain Bike Tours

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7 642 posts
264 reviews
7. Re: What to do with little kids besides surfing?

Marina, sorry that's happening. I hope you find some things they can enjoy. Did you find some things in the Arenal area that they liked?

Cheshire
1 post
8. Re: What to do with little kids besides surfing?

How come the kids are up so early? Do they go to bed earlier or are they having siestas? I wouldnt be in the best mood as mom if my kids were up so early!

Reply to: What to do with little kids besides surfing?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo