We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leatherback Turtles in early February

Level Contributor
50 posts
Leatherback Turtles in early February

Does anybody have any RECENT information on the Leatherback turtle nesting at Grande Beach ? Looks like all the posts are really old. Any chance of seeing some turtles the second week in February 2018 ?

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52 490 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Leatherback Turtles in early February

They will be there…this summer…

roadadvisro

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9 998 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Leatherback Turtles in early February

Turtle calendar for CR's coasts - https:/… .

See the reviews - some took the tour, did not see any. https:/…CHECK_RATES_CONT . Some did, till mid Feb.

Level Contributor
50 posts
3. Re: Leatherback Turtles in early February

Thank you

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
770 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Leatherback Turtles in early February

Nipper, the Leatherback population has dwindled so much that honestly your chances of seeing them are not that great. You could sign up for a tour and wait up to 4 hours for nothing. If you want a "guaranteed" tour of turtle nesting opt for the green turtles instead. There are nightly tours from October through May.

Roosendaal, The...
Level Contributor
11 posts
131 reviews
5. Re: Leatherback Turtles in early February

Hi Nipper,

We're in the same boat - I'm planning to visit Costa Rica during February 2019, hoping to spot some turtle nesting / hatching. Reading many old reviews, but every now and then I came across some recent commentary.

It seems that Tortuguero is a bit of a no-go in this period. Sure, you will see a lot of wildlife, but a minimal chance on turtles. Places that might be of interest are:

- Las Baulas

- Camaronal

- Ostional Beach

- Tamarindo

- Cahuita (North CR)

How I sense the situation: There is absolutely no garantuee that I'll spot any turtles in February 2019. There should most definitely not be any 'demands' regarding the species. When going on a specific Leatherback Turtle tour, the chance to spot them are low all around. Green Sea Turtles, however, are more likely to come across. Next to that, all tours will need to be booked one or two weeks in advance, or even last-minute requests at the hostels or via talking to locals. (That is my impression)

How was your trip to Costa Rica in Feb 2018? I am most definitely eager hearing your experiences related to the turtle nestin/hatching. Many thanks for your reply.

Reply to: Leatherback Turtles in early February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo