We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1 279 posts
126 reviews
Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

I saw a post on Facebook this morning about Burris’ in Loxley closing due to the lack of business. I was sad to see this but I too had not stopped in the last few years. That used to be a favorite part of my trips & we’d often stop on the way home too, buying bread to bring home & freeze. I’m feeling rather nostalgic! We are headed down for Labor Day & were planning to detour to Burris’ & then head on to Perdido Key.

With that said, where around the Wharf is their other location? We’ve not been to the Wharf in a few years so I’ve not seen it.

15 replies to this topic
Loxley, Alabama
Level Contributor
684 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

Burris has declined terribly over the last couple of years. New owner is facing serious legal issues. The wharf location is near the bridge. I haven't been. Don't plan to.

Level Contributor
497 posts
1 review
2. Re: Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

Yes, a newspaper search confirms that. But it is not currently a Burris owned business . .And the Burris family owns the Loxley property and has said they will reopen under a another name

Loxley, Alabama
Level Contributor
684 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

Correct as always, Dave. I should have been more specific in my post. The business was sold to the current owner a few years ago. I figured they would take back over. It is still a prime location.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1 279 posts
126 reviews
4. Re: Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

I didn’t know the original family didn’t own it anymore or about the problems. That’s too bad!

Level Contributor
497 posts
1 review
5. Re: Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

The current owner said the Beach Express helped kill the business. Wait until Buc ees is on that corner. There were hundreds of people in the one I was in last month. Unbelievable.

Loxley, Alabama
Level Contributor
684 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

https:/…

Dave, if Burris is smart he will advertise that one can stop at his fruit stand and then leave west on the road beside his store and intersect the Beach Express at Buckee's. Best of both worlds!

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1 279 posts
126 reviews
7. Re: Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

RoyandMay—interesting you mentioned that about getting back on the Beach Express. That was our plan for our next trip down—detour to Burris & then go back to the Beach Express to get to Perdido. Obviously, we’re not doing that now but if Burris makes a come back, maybe we can do this in the future.

Does anyone know if the Wharf location sells that bread that they had at the original? It made the best toast! Haven’t had it in years though so maybe they don’t bake it anymore? Anyway, since we’re staying in Perdido for Labor Day weekend, I doubt we’ll venture to the Wharf or OB much. My beach time will be limited so I don’t want to spend it stuck in traffic.

Loxley, Alabama
Level Contributor
684 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

Lee, Unsure of the Wharf location, but it sounds as if Burris in Loxley will be back open Labor Day. That bread was a Burris recipe, so I am quite certain the bakery will be up and running as well. I will send you a pm when they officially announce an opening date.

Level Contributor
497 posts
1 review
9. Re: Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

Burris Market at the Wharf is across the Beach Express by the new hotel Springhill Suites?

Morris, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
118 reviews
10. Re: Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?

We were there during last winter and Burris at the Wharf sold fresh baked bread. The aroma was enticing. Did not try any but wished I had. It is situated next to the convention centre in the Wharf complex so there is lots of parking. I hope they stay open at this new location.

Reply to: Burris Market closing/moving to Wharf?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Orange Beach