We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift for Brazilian

Gift for Brazilian
Save

I’m coming to visit a friend in Brazil. I have a list of items she wants me to bring and she is paying for. I would also like to bring a hospitality gift for her. What would be a nice luxury or coveted item that perhaps can’t be easily afforded in Brazil that I could bring from the US?

It’s for a female.

9 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
32 544 posts
28 reviews
137 helpful votes
1. Re: Gift for Brazilian
Save

An iPhone 12 would be nice.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16 394 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Gift for Brazilian
Save

Welcome

As nice as a surprise gift would be, i would ask her on some ideas...then you can have a better idea if the gift would actually used.

Good luck

3. Re: Gift for Brazilian
Save

Already on her list to brings well as ear buds and speaker pods.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1 724 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Gift for Brazilian
Save

Maybe a box of premium chocolates made in your home region. Or some other local delicacy not widely available?

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
10 916 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Gift for Brazilian
Save

is this your first trip to Brazil? are you aware of limits on purchases from abroad (which apply to foreign tourists and "gifts" to locals too)?

while enforcement is a lottery, at random, you should be aware that, if customs officers decide to open your luggage at airport (it happens more often if they think there is too much of it for a regular traveler, or just at random sometimes), items which are not for your "personal use" as a tourist here do have limits... and, if you are over that limit, they could be subject to taxation...

you can browse the official rules here:

https://receita.economia.gov.br/orientacao/aduaneira/viagens-internacionais/guia-do-viajante/guia-do-viajante-versao-ingles/entrada-no-brasil-versao-ingles/exemptions-quotas-quantity-limits-and-duty-free

officers can simply wave you thru... or sometimes they just ask people to put luggage thru X-ray to see if there is something of interest (e.g. two laptops...) and that is it... some get pulled over to open luggage in front of officers and then they start going over each item, their value etc; in these cases, brand new items tend to catch their attention as it indicates it could be a "gift" or something for re-sale ... not sure how strict they have been in these times of much reduced intl travel.

Edited: 23 April 2021, 22:41
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
1 393 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Gift for Brazilian
Save

On my last travel to Brazil two years ago, the customs is not strict if you travel with reasonable gifts if you are a foreign traveler. Ladies or women in Brazil prefer a premium fragrance ( Christian Dior or Chanel ) or gold or silver jewelry or luxury stones. You have the chance in Rio Airport to buy French fragrances in the Duty-Free shop or other premium products for women ,,,, good luck

Edited: 24 April 2021, 06:51
7 posts
7. Re: Gift for Brazilian
Save

Debbie, a makeup set. Most Brazilian women buy makeup sets whenever they travel abroad. The good thing is that you won't have to spend time trying to figure out if she's gonna like it as you would if you were buying her a handbag or sunglasses, for example...

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1 195 posts
34 reviews
38 helpful votes
8. Re: Gift for Brazilian
Save

Never put valuables on checked baggage.

I know you didn't ask this question, but I just thought to remind everyone to keep ALL valuables with you.

I learned the hard way.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
12 helpful votes
9. Re: Gift for Brazilian
Save

I've never seen people ask what to bring from their own country as a gift. For me it is more about 'what could be a good gift from my country to someone?'.

If it doesn't work for you, just get anything that you'd give an American friend, I'm sure she'll like it too.

Reply to: Gift for Brazilian
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.