We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can Brazilians change planes (layover) in the US?

Level Contributor
39 posts
Can Brazilians change planes (layover) in the US?
Save

My girlfriend will meet with me in Cancun , Mexico due to a complete change of plans . I am not going to Brazil due to the potential for infection or lockdown . I am a US citizen. We agreed to meet in Mexico since Brazilians are banned from visiting the US under Trump and Biden for the time being . Question - how about just traveling from Brazil to the US city of Miami, Florida for a 3 hour layover ? She would be flying from São Paulo to Miami, have a layover for 3 years without leaving the airport obviously , and then fly from Miami, Florida to Cancun, Mexico ? Can Brazilians do that , just through transit, pass through Miami or another city on the way to another country ?

5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
39 posts
1. Re: Can Brazilians change planes (layover) in the US?
Save

Layover for 3 hours **** is what I meant

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
10 919 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Can Brazilians change planes (layover) in the US?
Save

No.

in the US, there is no intl-to-intl transit (without going thru immigration). All passengers must clear immigration on arrival and only then they can proceed to the next flight - even if it is another intl flight.

So, even in "normal" times a 3-hour transit in Miami can be a bad idea, as there are often long immgration lines in MIA,... a lot of people from Brazil have missed such connections in MIA due to immigration delays there....

And, as due to covid19 restrictions, non-US citizens/residents who have been in Brazil in last 14 days are banned from entering the US, that is not an option.

She needs to get to Cancun thru another place: either flying thru Panama City or Mexico City.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16 394 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Can Brazilians change planes (layover) in the US?
Save

welcome,

if you have been watching the news, they have had some segments where some hotels/Resorts? in mexico were baiting travelers in with free tests and so forth. Even for any quarantine, the hotels/resorts were flipping the bill.

im not sure about what they have for those coming from the south , but i will leave that up to you and googling.

good luck

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
419 posts
61 reviews
64 helpful votes
4. Re: Can Brazilians change planes (layover) in the US?
Save

Seems like a pretty dicey time for an American to be traveling to meet a girlfriend. Things are improving in the US, but how is Brazil looking? Last I checked with my friend whose family is in Brazil, things were still pretty bad. I know people are getting impatient, and finding a place to circumvent restrictions is great, but there are still people beyond just the two involved who can be impacted. Hope it all works out okay. For you, and all the people you'll be coming in contact with.

Jundiai, SP
Level Contributor
1 231 posts
28 reviews
27 helpful votes
5. Re: Can Brazilians change planes (layover) in the US?
Save

Yes, the situation is still very bad in Brazil with an average of 2500 deaths/day. The situation has improved a bit, especially as vaccination has been stepped up. The Brazilian president has played a part in this terrible situation, especially by promoting ineffective drugs like chloroquine.

And vaccination is still very slow, only the elderly and some priority groups. I tried to get vaccinated together with my wife today but was turned away because of my age. Shall try again tomorrow (when my age group comes up) but may have to go to another city for this, as the vaccine slots here have run out.

If you must come to Brazil, get vaxxed before you leave.

And just thought of something else - they ask for a CPF to get vaxxed, a document that tourists would not have.

Brazil is indeed a wonderful country, especially Rio, but just thought I would shed some light on what is happening here.

Reply to: Can Brazilians change planes (layover) in the US?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.