We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Voltage converter plug things

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Voltage converter plug things

I had ordered a couple of converters, which will work “in over 150 countries”! But, as I learn, not Brasil. Sigh.

Can someone direct me to a site with appropriate sturdy plug things for brasil? I’m an idiot. Assume I know nothing. I don’t understand these things. I need to use the typical things : iPhone Apple Watch (both 5V here in us). iPad (12 V I think). Etc etc. entire trip in São Paulo

THANK YOU

9 replies to this topic
Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
588 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Voltage converter plug things

It’s super simple. You just need a European-style 2-prong plug! They work in Brazilian sockets (obviously without the ground).

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
7 194 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Voltage converter plug things

voltage is usually not an issue... nowadays most cell phones, ipads etc all work in both voltages 110V and 220V... just look (with a magnifying glass, lol) on what is printed on the charger itself... it usually says 100-240 volts.

we have an ipad bought in the USA and it works fine in Sao Paulo.

what you may have an issue with is the plugs (two flat ones for stuff sold in USA)... some places in Brazil have that, but not all... a simple adaptor will solve it. I would see what kind of sockets will be in the place where you will stay and then you can easily buy an adaptor for a couple of US$ in Brazil... your local host can direct you to a place if you really need one...

you are getting mixed up with watts (5W, 12W etc), but that is not impacted when you travel,

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
26 256 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Voltage converter plug things

Voltage in Brazil is not fixed. The electric current in Rio is 110 or 120 volts, 60 cycles, alternating current. Travel adapters are required for certain electric devices.

http://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/brazil/

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
7 194 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Voltage converter plug things

the power socket in #3 is the "new" one in Brazil.

a lot of places in Brazil do NOT have that (e.g. a lot of buildings in SP...), unless it was built/rehabbed AFTER it became the "norm"... dont fret about that till you get here.

that is why I said to look first at the sockets in place where you will stay (or ask your host to send a pic of it...)... good chances it can be the old style 2 round ones and it may even have capacity to be used with the 2 flat ones too.

and an adaptor to the "old" two round style fits in the "new" 3 round too.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9 651 posts
1 review
5. Re: Voltage converter plug things

welcome,

many times you can get screwed if you are an unaware consumer.

if you have questions, try googling for something or if you have any travel/camping/hiking shop in your area, ask there. You maybe even to ask where you bought all of your i toys.

something to be aware of is all of the toys you bring, do you really need them all? just something to consider all of your "blingz" is that it could draw unwanted attention.

good luck

Edited: 08 June 2018, 00:19
Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
588 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Voltage converter plug things

Apple products (and many other modern electronic items) don’t need a voltage converter as they work with both 110 and 220V. If you have any items that require a different voltage (I think you mentioned a simple digital camara in another thread) you have the choice of bringing a (heavy) voltage converter or just look for alternatives. I’d choose the latter.

There are three types of sockets in Brazil.

1. Two flat holes. Equal to USA without the (third, round) hole for the ground pin.

2. Two round holes. Equal to Europe (without a hole for ground).

3. Three round holes. This is the most unusual of the Brazilian sockets but European plug with two round pins (same as for socket type 2) works in this WITHOUT ANY trouble.

So, with one of your multi-country plug converters your likely all set. I have several of these and can access all sockets in Brazil.

London
Level Contributor
1 077 posts
1 review
7. Re: Voltage converter plug things

Note that a European 2-pin plug will not enter the modern Brazilian type N 3-pin socket because of the hexagon shape:

https:/…

but adaptors are readily available in supermarkets etc. OP doesn't say what country he's coming from but these accept both European and US plugs, if you have UK 3-pin plugs then you'll need (a) a UK to European 2-pin adaptor and (b) a European to Brazilian N type adaptor as above. Virtually all portable devices these days are multi-voltage, you can plug them into anything and they convert the current into the one required.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 21:01
London
Level Contributor
1 077 posts
1 review
8. Re: Voltage converter plug things

Correction, European 2-pin plug type C should work with Brazilian socket type N so I'd have thought the adaptors you have would work, but you don't say why you think they wouldn't.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6 546 posts
420 reviews
9. Re: Voltage converter plug things

If you have a plug adapter that works with plug type C that is used in most of the European Countries (except Great Britain) then you do not need to worry it won’t work.

Miki

Reply to: Voltage converter plug things
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sao Paulo