We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin in late august

CA
Level Contributor
149 posts
32 reviews
Austin in late august

My wife and will be in Austin for three nights in late august. We plan to stay downtown or south congress and love bbq, live music (classic rock, blues). Looking for indoor things to do in those areas other than the obvious one. Will the weather be unbearable at that time? In the areas we mentioned above which hotel has the best pool? Also a memorable sunday brunch recommendation in this areas would be appreciated. thanks

14 replies to this topic
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4 334 posts
777 reviews
1. Re: Austin in late august

Pools at the Marriott and Hyatt are both very nice and it will be hot enough in late August that you will enjoy them. Austin has a number of good museums including the Blanton museum, the Bullock Texas state history museum, the LBJ presidential museum, the Mexic-arte museum and a few more. You can visit the state capital and the University of Texas campus that also has at least one good museum and a lot going on.

Yes it will be hot but probably not as hot as it will be in Dallas and Houston, something those in Austin take comfort in. Austin is cooler than those cities in many ways.

Austin
Level Contributor
924 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Austin in late august

It will be unbearably hot and humid. Our summer activities include swimming at Barton Springs and Deep Eddy, kayaking or canoeing on Town Lake and visiting the Blanton. Remember to include Austin's famous breakfast taco scene. Personal favorites are Torchy's and Juan in a Million.

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2 360 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Austin in late august

Save this link for current music: https://www.austinchronicle.com/events/music/

And this one for events in general: https://www.austinchronicle.com/events/

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5 175 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Austin in late august

Depending on how late in August you are coming, if your stay involves a weekend, you may encounter the move in dates for students at The University of Texas at Austin. This can affect traffic in certain areas, hotel rates and availability and restaurants.

CA
Level Contributor
149 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: Austin in late august

Thanks for the info - we will be there Aug 25th through 28th.

CA
Level Contributor
149 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Austin in late august

To all thaks for the info and especially the chronicle link. Looking forward to seeing Austin

7. Re: Austin in late august

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 March 2018, 07:25

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39 620 posts
641 reviews
8. Re: Austin in late august

It will be hot that is for sure.

Marshall, Texas
Level Contributor
97 posts
96 reviews
9. Re: Austin in late august

I recommend sitting in a sauna to prepare for Texas August... But the Hyatt Regency on South Congress has a nice pool and isnt far from Barton Springs and the green belt. And if you go along the trail that run north of the Hyatt Regency, there is a statue of Stevie Ray Vaughn Which was cool to see.

If you are a big BBQ person, one thing I have been contemplating is ordering BBQ from Franklin BBQ to skip the line... I like BBQ... but I have better things to do than stand in line for a number of hours, especially in a Texas summer.

As far as some good food... the one place that sticks out the most from my trip last July was eating at Gus Fried Chicken... that place was amazing. And you can never go wrong with going to the Torchys food truck location. The Hyatt Regency is within walking distance of Threadgills... I may get yelled at for this, but I was not impressed by it... I see a lot of people swear by it and say it is a institution, but I will probably pass if given the chance again. Sandys hamburgers was pretty good and within walking distance as well.

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2 360 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Austin in late august

There's nothing wrong with Threadgill's. I've always found the food decent. It's just that they cook standards, and pick anything on the menu, and someone else around Austin does that meal a lot better. Still, if it's a group looking for something where everyone will find something they like, it's a good bet. Not always entirely consistent, but that's also like mother used to make, and she had her off days, too.

Franklin's another thing. Within 30 miles of the center of downtown Austin, there are more good barbecue places than you'd likely get around to, bringing Elgin and Lockhart into the picture. And for all the raves about Franklin's, it's just real good barbecue, as good as but not better than a dozen other places. In other words, they haven't discovered the long lost barbecue recipe of the pharaohs, buried under a pyramid, locked in a golden ark and guarded by dragons.

Austin's just spoiled rotten for good places to eat.

Reply to: Austin in late august
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Austin