We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female Travel to Manila

Hong Kong Island...
Level Contributor
64 posts
138 reviews
77 helpful votes
Solo Female Travel to Manila
Save

Solo Female Travel in Manila

Jun 14, 2013, 10:53 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to go to Manila from 29 June to 1 July. I will just spend 3 days for the weekend trip.

I'm still looking for the information but I have come up an initial itinerary as below. Hope you guys could give some advices to me! Thanks a lot!

Day 1 - City sightseeing

Makati City --> Greenbelt --> Intramuros & Fort Santiago --> Manila Bay

I like markets..so I'm thinking to go to the market in the morning... (Salcedo Saturday Market and Legazpi Sunday Market, which one is better? or i should visit both?

For Intramuros & Fort Santiago,I read different blogs or fourms, the people said that it's a long way to visit..and need to take a taxi to look around all the places, is it true? is it half day is enough for visiting there?)

Day 2 - Tagaytay

Most of the travellers said that it's not easy to go there by public transportation and spend a lot of time..easily get lost..and so on..As I will travel by myself, which option is better for me? Hire a driver, catch a taxi or just join the local tour? Which one is better and how much does it costs?

It seems that there're lots of activities to do..so I will spend 1 day there.

Day 3 - Still don't have any ideas yet..I'm still looking for any nice beach around Manila city..Coz I will take the flight in evening..So I'm not sure where should I go and what to do....

For accommodation, I'm thinking the following 2 options.

1. Our Melting Pot (4th floor M. Avenue Bldg, 7844 Makati Avenue Corner Guerrero Street)

2. Our Awesome Hostel Manila (5756 ABBA Building, Kalayaan Avenue cor. EDSA, Makati)

Just have 1 more question, is it safe for a female traveller to Manila alone? Since I never been to this place before and there were some negative news from TV before, so I would like to know the recent situation and the experiences from you guys. Thank you very much!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 740 posts
340 reviews
535 helpful votes
1. Re: Solo Female Travel to Manila
Save

Regarding safety.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294245-i3256-k6587846-Just_Back_Report_3_weeks_travelling_alone-Philippines.html

Bring your common sense with you. Do not do the things you will not do at home.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 740 posts
340 reviews
535 helpful votes
2. Re: Solo Female Travel to Manila
Save

For Day 1, you can't do both markets in a day because each of the market only open one day in a week.

As for Intramuros, you can do it in 5 mins or within a day. If you are interested in history, you can easily spend a day there. Else join Carlos walking tour. He will give you a better insight about Intramuros.

If you go,alone. You can hire a trike or horse carriage to bring you around.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 740 posts
340 reviews
535 helpful votes
3. Re: Solo Female Travel to Manila
Save

Sorry gave to answer you in several posts because I am using mobile.

For Tagaytay, you can definitely DIY but you will spend a big chunk of your time traveling.

You can take a bus to Olivarez and then hire a trike for a day to bring you around. You need to bargain hard with them.

Else hire a recommended driver to bring you for a 2D1N trip that includes Tagaytay, Taal and Pangsanjan Falls.

With a private driver, you have absolute control of your trip.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 740 posts
340 reviews
535 helpful votes
4. Re: Solo Female Travel to Manila
Save

By the way. Where are you flying to after Manila?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
31 194 posts
2 955 reviews
3 637 helpful votes
5. Re: Solo Female Travel to Manila
Save

On the Philippine Main Page there is a thread on recommended drivers.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294245-c188959/Philippines:Guides.Transport.Companies.And.Drivers.html

I used Touristdriver and highly recommend his services.

Tommo

Hong Kong Island...
Level Contributor
64 posts
138 reviews
77 helpful votes
6. Re: Solo Female Travel to Manila
Save

Thank you very much for you guy's suggestions!

I just take a weekend break to Manila and then back to Hong Kong. So I would like to make use of those 3 days and see the interesting things in Manila.

The information are really useful! Especially I don't have any friends do the solo travel to Manila before, so I have no idea on where could I find a recommended driver to take me around to Tagaytay.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
31 194 posts
2 955 reviews
3 637 helpful votes
7. Re: Solo Female Travel to Manila
Save

I would recommend Touristdriver as he is very familiar with Tagaytay and I used him for this trip.

His and other recommended drivers details are listed here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294245-c188959/Philippines:Guides.Transport.Companies.And.Drivers.html

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
12 437 posts
2 558 reviews
4 909 helpful votes
8. Re: Solo Female Travel to Manila
Save

TA member touristdriver is indeed reliable, friendly and a safe driver. You can send him a private message through TA.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
739 posts
97 reviews
76 helpful votes
9. Re: Solo Female Travel to Manila
Save

Both the hostels you mention are close enough to Salcedo market and to Greenbelt. But not perhaps the easiest walking after dark as there are inadequate sidewalks in those areas. If you are flying out on the third day, there's no way to do beach in the morning and still get to airport. Mousehunt's suggestion of 2days 1 night away, seeing Pagsanjan Falls as well as the lovely Tagaytay and Taal, is a good one. The two markets you mention have a lot of the same vendors (since they are held on different days) so just do one of them. Emphasis is on food.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
16 067 posts
52 reviews
139 helpful votes
10. Re: Solo Female Travel to Manila
Save

For Intramuros & Fort Santiago,I read different blogs or fourms, the people said that it's a long way to visit..and need to take a taxi to look around all the places, is it true? is it half day is enough for visiting there?)

#################################

I have been there several times over 18 years.

There are many sites to visit within Intramuros. You can walk from place to place.

As for the time it will take.

One single attraction, the San Agustin church, one of the oldest existing churches in the Philippines, will take you all day if you stop to read everything and take the time to understand every thing you are seeing, inside, upstairs and the ruins outside.

Casa Manila, opposite the San Agustin Church is large site consisting of many buildings, not just the home you pay to enter. Again, if you stop to read every thing and take the time to understand everything you are seeing in the house and the original purpose of every other building on the site, you could again spend all day.

Fort San Pedro. may also take all day if you stop to read everything and take the time to poke your nose into every building and undertsand their use within the site.

Alternatively, you could drive into the walled city in a taxi and drive out the other end about 10 minutes later and say wasn't that all pretty.

Get answers to your questions about Manila
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.