We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aurora in Murmansk

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
Aurora in Murmansk

I'd like to try to catch the Northern lights in Murmansk. Will plan the leg of the trip to coincide with the new moon in end November 2016. I was wondering if anyone could give any advice about whether I could possibly catch the lights without booking a tour? I would like to travel independently and am trying to keep costs low. Do I need to stay at a remote place to see it? Is staying in the city less than ideal? Is there a good place to stay to view the lights that you can recommend? I struggle to find information on this on the internet. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

48 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4 551 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Aurora in Murmansk

Been to Murmansk many times and seen the Aurora. You can see it just in the city, and do not need a tour just to raise your head up. Though it does not happen every day, and you fully not guaranteed to catch it. You need clear skies, possibly frost and proper atmosphere conditions, all that unpredictable. Mislabeled is a nice place, 2 days will cover most. Enjoy!

Vladivostok, Russia
Level Contributor
1 473 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Aurora in Murmansk

And, first of all, you'd ned a solar flare to get a bunch of ions caught in a magnetic trap up high in the ionosphere. Earth's athmosphere is extremely thin at these heights, so the main source of ions for auroras are the gusts of solar wind, which are connected to the massive flares on the Sun and don't happen everyday.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
3. Re: Aurora in Murmansk

Hi Vasily_from_Moscow, that was really helpful. It's nice to know I wouldn't need to spend money going into the wilderness to chase the aurora. Thank you very much!

Hello andreyt59, thanks for the science lesson behind the aurora. I know I can't just show up and expect to see the lights. Hopefully going during polar nights and new moon would put the odds in my favour. Thanks!

Edited: 08 July 2016, 02:08
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
222 posts
4. Re: Aurora in Murmansk

Actually you need 3 things only to see it:

- sky clear of clouds

- luck that it will happen today

- dark place. Darker is better.

Actually i saw Lights even in St.Petersburg but i need to walk 200 meters away from houses and roads with bright artificial light. But it is very rare here in St.Peter. Murmask is much better place.

Rise your head often and you can catch it.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
5. Re: Aurora in Murmansk

Hi SanchesS80,

Thanks for your tip, I'll pay more attention when I'm in St Petersburg! I'm curious though, did you walk that 200 m away from bright lights because you already saw the northern lights or because you saw a forecast? Just wondering how obvious they could be in city lights in St Petersburg. Many thanks!

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
253 reviews
6. Re: Aurora in Murmansk

Hi shihlin. When do you plan to be in Murmansk? I'm trying to arrange a trip 3rd week of dec for my family. There are many more things to see and do. I suppose you wont want to fly all the way here just to catch the lights alone?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
7. Re: Aurora in Murmansk

Hi, I should be there earlier in the month. I'm not sure what I'll be up to doing given the very cold weather and the lack of any sunlight. Would you like to give some suggestions?

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
253 reviews
8. Re: Aurora in Murmansk

Mr Oleg from Visit Murmansk can give you some tips. U can also check out misshappyfeet blog written by a Malaysian student. I'll suggest going for a husky ride and snowplay. He has day tours you can join with other independent tourists.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
9. Re: Aurora in Murmansk

Thanks very much 1Ming, enjoy your trip!

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
253 reviews
10. Re: Aurora in Murmansk

Hold on. I have some leads you may want to follow.

Husky park day tour: arcticland.ru/eng/tours/winter/traditions 3200RUB without transport from MMK.

Winter snow activities at Ogni Murmanska hotel ognimurmanska.ru/portfolio/…

It's in Russian. Open in google chrome to get English translation. They also have weekend day package if

you don't want to buy the activities individually. The hotel & ski slope is about 15min away from the city only. This should fill 2 whole days.

If you find anything useful other than the above, pls share with me too. thanks!

Reply to: Aurora in Murmansk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Murmansk