We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aurora lights in end December

Mashhad, Iran
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Aurora lights in end December

Dear Friends

i made a plan for come to murmansk in around 20th-22th Dec for see Aurora . So you think based winter season , can i see this lights?

4 replies to this topic
2 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Aurora lights in end December

I am thinking to do the same so good luck to us :) it's the longest night of the year so I guess chances are higher. I have been asking same question but so far haven't received any responses.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4 552 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Aurora lights in end December

There are no answers as there is not too much to answer- Aurora is a natural wonder, no-one can predict... Just hope and enjoy travels!

Moscow Oblast...
Level Contributor
387 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Aurora lights in end December

Yes, it's mostly the matter of luck. Predictions are not very reliable. Try to look here:

www.aurora-service.org/aurora-forecast/

…noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
185 posts
169 reviews
4. Re: Aurora lights in end December

I was just there, and mentioned that in another discussion post here, but I think a couple points might have been clearer. I don't think it would be practical to see the aurora from inside the city. Of course there could be exceptions but the light pollution would seem to be too much a factor to really get the same kind of view.

We went out on tours outside of the city three nights in a row (Dec. 24-26) and saw aurora two of the three nights, which seemed like good luck. Of course I have no idea how many nights would bend the chances in someone's favor. I also don't know how specific forecasts could ever be, related to prompting guides to adjust location or schedule in any way. I just got the sense they go drive and try out the luck that day.

Reply to: Aurora lights in end December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Murmansk