We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time are recommendations

Winnipeg, Canada
3 posts
First time are recommendations

Hey there,

Going back to Philippines for first time with my family. We are torn between staying in Makati and BGC. I have heard good things about the two. We would like to stay in Makati bc we can just easily walk to the malls (glorietta, landmark, etc), lots of restaurants, and things to do. But I have heard good things about BGC too.

If we are in Makati, or BGC , which part should we look in, so we can easily just walk/short uber ride, and dont have to drive?

Looking for a pretty affordable place.

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
27 469 posts
2 256 reviews
1. Re: First time are recommendations

Both areas are nice and modern but Makati is my preferred area. BGC is more spread out in comparison to Makati as far as walking to malls etc.

<<If we are in Makati, or BGC , which part should we look in, so we can easily just walk/short uber ride, and dont have to drive?>>

If you stay around Greenbelt Mall you won't have to drive to shops restaurants and bars as they are all in walking distance.

<<Looking for a pretty affordable place.>> You really need to define what affordable means to you in the local currency. Affordable to you and me is probably very different.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8 131 posts
449 reviews
2. Re: First time are recommendations

BGC is quieter with less traffic. We were there for one day and explored the area on foot. There is the shopping mall, museum, restaurants, parks and sculptures as well as many restaurants . More open spaces in BGC than Makati, so BGC would be my choice if i had to choose between the two. If you stay in Makati it is just a short taxi rider to get to BGC. It is also easily accessible by bus.

https:/…going-to-bgc

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
155 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: First time are recommendations

Both have a lot of shops, restaurants, and museums to visit. Both are also walkable (Makati CBD at least) with parks and trees paved sidewalks.

BGC has a more modern feel, particularly because it's a new development. That also means that there are a lot of empty lots, and sites are more spread out (though still <5km, more or less). Everything is new and shiny, and while they're trying to develop the local art/cultural scene, it doesn't feel so organic yet (though there are a lot of pretty murals!).

Because Makati has been what it is longer, it personally has more character for me, especially with the many holes in the wall in every street. Makati has more variety in terms of "scenes", with a better mix of cozy places, busy places, hip places, etc. Makati can be really busy on weekdays, but turn laid back on weekends, with all the markets in main parks.

Either way, you can't go wrong. It really is just a matter of what kind of vibe you prefer.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6 445 posts
262 reviews
4. Re: First time are recommendations

Makati is much nicer as it feels more inhabited. BGC still gives me a new less lived in less used feel (compared to Makati). Makati definitely has more restaurants and things to do. Stay in the region 500 meters from the edges of Greenbelt (google maps should help you there) and you will be fine. Greenbelt consists of 5 malls snug next to each other, with lots of gardens, restaurants and shops between them (and a museum). It always has people around from morning to night.

Reply to: First time are recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Makati