We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting around ascunsion to Trinidad without a car?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
118 reviews
getting around ascunsion to Trinidad without a car?

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting between Ascunsion to around Trinidad and the Jesuit ruins ? Also thoughts on the hotel Papillion or the Country hotel ? We won't have a car as we are then planning to go into Argentina thru Posadas to Iguazu Falls and then back to Ascunsion (probably thru Cuidad del Este unless we can get a little flight). Will we need to pay the entrance visas to Brazil or Argentina if we just go in by land for a few days? Any and all help appreciated ! GRACIAS

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
445 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: getting around ascunsion to Trinidad without a car?

Asuncion to Trinidad - Go to the main bus terminal and purchase a ticket to Encarnacion. Buses will leave at least hourly. Then when you get to Encarnacion, purchase a ticket to Trinidad, also leave at least hourly. It's up the highway called Ruta VI (sexta). At the entrance to Trinidad, I believe there is a taxi stand that could take you up to the Jesus entrance. Other than that, the walk from the highway to Trinidad Jesuit ruins isn't bad. Hotel Papillon looked nice when I was trip planning a while back. Haven' t heard of the "Country Hotel." Any hotel could call a taxi for you. To get back to Encarnacion, stand on the right side of the highway and put your arm out in front of each bus that passes until one stops. The larger ones won't stop, but all will be headed to Encarnacion. Ask if they go to the terminal. ("Va al terminal?" if you don't speak Spanish) From there you can cross into Posadas (via taxi may be easiest from Encarn Terminal to Posadas Terminal). Get a bus at the Posadas Terminal to Puerto Iguazu. They are cheap and much more comfortable than the Paraguayan buses.

Customs - You will need to get an exit stamp as you leave Paraguay and an entry stamp as you enter Argentina. No fees. No visa for US citizens going through Arg. Simple process at each end of the bridge. If you stay in Puerto Iguazu and only cross into Brazil for the day or to pass through to Paraguay, you do not need the stamps or Brazilian visa. If you are in Foz do Iguacu overnight, you'll have to have a visa, which are 5 year visas and cost approx $200 if I remember right. If you are entering Paraguay again, get an exit stamp from Argentina (just before you cross into Brazil) and then get the entry stamp into Paraguay as you cross the bridge from Foz do Iguacu. The customs house is on the Paraguayan end of the bridge. Tiny house/building in the median right at the end of the bridge. I'm also assuming you know that a visa is required for Paraguay...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
445 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: getting around ascunsion to Trinidad without a car?

Additional details:

At the bus terminal in Encarnacion, if you are hungry, eat at the asian place that faces the terminal. Don't remember the name. It used to be run by a nice Korean guy. Loved eating Yakisoba there. :-)

From Puerto Iguazu to Ciudad del Este, you should be able to hire a taxi for about $40 that will stop at ARG & PY customs for you. Then from Ciudad del Este you should be able to get a nicer bus to Asuncion (RYSA or Nuestra Senora de...something). RYSA has a website.

I'm jealous of your trip! If you want a guide and want to pay for my airfare, I'm all in!! ;-)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
118 reviews
3. Re: getting around ascunsion to Trinidad without a car?

Thank you SO MUCH.. this is exactly the information we needed :) y hablamos español - más o menos ! We are planning to stay in Puerto Igazu for 4 nights- so we wil see about Brazil. Also, in Asuncion we are thinking of opting for the comfort of the Crowne Plaza versus the Asuncion Palace. What do you think of this ? (we have a long journey to get there)..

When was the last time you were in Paraguay ? Gracias otro vez. We really appreciate the help !

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
445 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: getting around ascunsion to Trinidad without a car?

No hay problema. I lived in Paraguay from 1999 to 2001 and then went back for a couple weeks in 2006 when I pretty much took your same route, except went east to the falls first. I just looked at the list of Asuncion hotels and was surprised to see quite a few new ones. Crowne Plaza looks nice. I have stayed in Las Margaritas before but gave it a bad review because they didn't hold my reservation the first night due to my late arrival. It was very nice for Paraguayan standards and comfortable. Another one I hadn't heard of before is the Bourbon Conmebol Assuncao Hotel. If you want to go cheaper, I'd suggest going with Hotel Palmas del Sol. I stayed there in 2006 for $35 a night, I believe. It is more on Paraguayan standards than U.S. but is very clean and comfortable. Airport transfer and breakfast was included in the price. Very hospitable and the guy at the front desk opened the kitchen to cook for me even though I arrived late after the kitchen was closed.

I hope you're not planning on spending much time in Asuncion. There's really not much to see there. Seeing the rest of the country is a much better use of time. Also, if you need a taxi for a day, try to negotiate a daily rate (should be able to do it for less than $40). I found a friend of a friend that was a taxi driver. He drove me around for four days. I paid him $150, which I thought was generous, and paid for all the gas.

Fatima, Portugal
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
5. Re: getting around ascunsion to Trinidad without a car?

Hello!

I've read your comments about Paraguay and I would like to ask you for help to plan my trip.

I've lost a lot of time, researching agents and tour operators in the internet, I have asked them many requests, but only 2 or 3 replayed me with very expensive prices.

First, I thought renting a car, but for the information I got, it's a bit risky, because of the roads and security and, also, because I can't pick it at an airport and drop it in another, as I need; also, they don't rent it with inlimited kilometers and, so, it is very expensive.

I know what I want to visit, I have a good program in my mind, but the 3 days to Filadelphia are difficult to plan, because they want about US$1000 per person (we are a mature couple).

I've thought to take a taxi, but I couldn't find anything on the internet.

You have told that the the taxi of your friend's friend has a good price and, as it is recommended, it would be good chance to consider.

Can you help me?

If you can reply to my mail, it would be great

Thank you very much.

Lucilia Silva (luciliavsilva@gmail.com)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
118 reviews
6. Re: getting around ascunsion to Trinidad without a car?

hi Lucilia, It was easy to take the bus from Asuncion and then because we were tired and didn't want to wait for another bus, we took a taxi from Encarcnacion to the hotel in Trindidad. It wasn't very expensive. There are lots of buses and transportation is easier than you may think- even though they do stop every five minutes [no such thing as a "non-stop"]. We took a taxi back to the bus station to take another bus to Puerto Iguazu. The bus cost about 25 USD (I think) all the way from Asuncion.- we are also not backpackers and I guess you would say of the 'mature' age :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
445 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: getting around ascunsion to Trinidad without a car?

Hello Lucilia,

I'd be more than happy to give you any suggestions on your upcoming trip. I would avoid renting a car for the reasons you stated and would also avoid private transport or taxi due to the cost. The safest and most inexpensive way is to go to the bus station in Asuncion and take a bus. Unfortunately the two bus lines I usually look at (rysa.com.py and nsa.com.py) do not go to filadelfia. I googled 'paraguay bus, asuncion to filadelfia' and a few good websites came up including wikitravel.org/en/Filadelfia. This website states that there are two busses per day to asuncion, so I would assume there are two that go from asuncion to filadelfia daily. Cost is 90.000 guaranis or about 15 euros!!!! A far cry from the $1.000 quoted by the travel agency. When you go to the bus station, there are several different ticket counters each for a separate bus line. Check them out and get pricing and times there. They don't have websites, but you may find a phone number online for the bus station for times and prices.

I am always cautious in bus stations. Try to dress like everyone else. Don't wear anything that would call additional attention to yourself. No jewelry, excess makeup/hair, etc. If you are mennonite and dress in traditional clothing, you will be fine. Not uncommon to see.

Busses are the best way to get around in general. I have also hired taxis for the day if I am staying in a particular city or region and have multiple stops. If you speak spanish you will have no problem negotiating pricing or getting to where you need to go. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Burk

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
445 posts
69 reviews
8. Re: getting around ascunsion to Trinidad without a car?

Hello Lucilia,

I'd be more than happy to give you any suggestions on your upcoming trip. I would avoid renting a car for the reasons you stated and would also avoid private transport or taxi due to the cost. The safest and most inexpensive way is to go to the bus station in Asuncion and take a bus. Unfortunately the two bus lines I usually look at (rysa.com.py and nsa.com.py) do not go to filadelfia. I googled 'paraguay bus, asuncion to filadelfia' and a few good websites came up including wikitravel.org/en/Filadelfia. This website states that there are two busses per day to asuncion, so I would assume there are two that go from asuncion to filadelfia daily. Cost is 90.000 guaranis or about 15 euros!!!! A far cry from the $1.000 quoted by the travel agency. When you go to the bus station, there are several different ticket counters each for a separate bus line. Check them out and get pricing and times there. They don't have websites, but you may find a phone number online for the bus station for times and prices.

I am always cautious in bus stations. Try to dress like everyone else. Don't wear anything that would call additional attention to yourself. No jewelry, excess makeup/hair, etc. If you are mennonite and dress in traditional clothing, you will be fine. Not uncommon to see.

Busses are the best way to get around in general. I have also hired taxis for the day if I am staying in a particular city or region and have multiple stops. If you speak spanish you will have no problem negotiating pricing or getting to where you need to go. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Burk

9. Re: getting around ascunsion to Trinidad without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2016, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Encarnacion