We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach

spain
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Beach

I am interested in visiting Veranda pointe au biches. What is the beach like? I have read it is gritty and man made. My number one criteria for my holiday is powder sand beach and clear sea for swimming. Or any other suggestion for a reasonably priced all inc package. Don't like high rise. Thank you.

15 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23 918 posts
2 415 reviews
1. Re: Beach

I have stayed at the hotel. The hotel is not high rise, the building I stayed in were only two storey.

The beach is not man made, however it is also not powder dry. Mauritian beaches have coral washed up from the sea, it also has plenty of black rocks even on the beach which is a reflection of its natural history. It was formed by volcanic lava.

The hotel has a buoyed up safe area for swimming, the area outside it is used for watersports. You could go for decent walks on the beach and you can view lovely sunsets.

spain
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
2. Re: Beach

Thanks. I have not had a holiday for 4 years due to starting a business. We used to go to the Maldives but the prices now are a bit out of our range. Am trying to get as near an experience. I am looking for ground floor rooms as near to the beach as possible so we can step out of our room and onto the beach. And a beach bar is a must. I work in high end catering so a simple buffet suits me on holiday. Thanks for the info

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
47 092 posts
132 reviews
3. Re: Beach

IMO the beach at PAB is not that great - small and rocky.

Lots of lovely hotels with rooms opening on to the beach. Do you have any other choices?

Look at the east coast - Belle Mare - and west coat resorts near Flic en Flac.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6 510 posts
60 reviews
4. Re: Beach

The beach at Veranda Pointe aux Biches isn't one of the best on the island unfortunately. Rather look at hotels on the east coast (depending on when you travel as the winter months of June to August it's too windy) which has the best beaches in Mauritius. You could look at Veranda Palmar Beach there.

Another lovely stretch of beach is on the west coast at Flic en Flac - lots of resorts there to choose from. Look at Le Pirogue, Sugar Beach and the Sands for a start.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19 172 posts
219 reviews
5. Re: Beach

The beaches on the east and west coasts are the best but you will find broken coral everywhere on the sea bed, in the shallows and on the shoreline. Also a possibility of stone fish and sea urchins so reef shoes are recommended

As much as we enjoy Mauritius the beaches aren't the best we've had on holiday.

spain
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
6. Re: Beach

Hi Bronia. Do you have any hotel suggestions with rooms directly on the beach. Has to be reasonably priced and ideally AI. My main priority is beach, swimming and beach bar on holiday. Don't need the bells and whistles of flat screen TV and personal butler! Thanks!

spain
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
7. Re: Beach

Where are your favourite beaches? Husband won't go back to Mexico, and am not sure about weather in November. Quite fancy Zanzibar. Can't deal with those vast tourist destinations of Dominican or Jamaica thanks x

spain
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
8. Re: Beach

Thanks Dee. Do you have a favourite?

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
63 posts
9. Re: Beach

I would recommend hotels (e.g. Beachcomber) at Le Morne area. The beach there is amazing and water is crystal clear. However, there is of course coral, but you can snorkel right from the beach.

Zanzibar has the most amazing beaches I have seen, but Mauritius has better AI hotels & more things to do.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6 510 posts
60 reviews
10. Re: Beach

So hard to choose one resort as we've loved them all for different reasons. The best beach was at Beachcomber Paradis at Le Morne. However it is on the pricey side and didn't offer All Inclusive when we stayed there. Also not suitable during the winter months as it can be windy.

Reply to: Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pointe Aux Piments