We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

Good day,

We are considering a 1 week holiday at Victoria Beachcomber in Pointe aux Piments. We've read mostly good/excellent reviews but I have one burning question... the water/swimming/rocks? I've emailed the hotel and they've mentioned that the 'lagoon' is not as deep as at Troux aux Biches and there are rocks/stones but you will find a swimming spot. I do not wish to 'stand around' in the 'sea'. My friend who is going with is a agile swimmer and like to SWIM in the sea. I am so worried that this will ruin our holiday? Is it possible that once you are 'over the rocks', that you can swim deeper into the sea or is it just a lagoon? He doesn't mind swimming 500 meters into the sea to get to a spot where it's deep enough to swim.

THe hotel has also suggested that we can take a bus to Trou aux Biches for the day but then your All board means very little and I don't want to pay a fortune to get to another beach.

We are realistic regarding the rocks and will buy 'water shoes' but how deep is the water really? If I fall off a paddle boat, is the rocks 1 meter underneath me and I will land on the rocks?

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks so much in advance!

Marinda

11 replies to this topic
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6 516 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

Hi Marinda. We've stayed at Le Victoria and loved it. We found that there was a lot of broken coral just at the water's edge which required sea shoes as it's quite sharp. There are clumps of volcanic rocks along the beach but there is plenty of space to swim. Just remember that the resorts all have cordoned off areas for swimming to keep bathers safe from the motorised boats in the area. So your friend should stick to this area and not swim further out as he will be in danger of being hit by boats.

The water depth varies depending on the tides. The boat house guys are very good at only allowing you to use boats when the sea conditions are good so you will be safe. Obviously use common sense and don't paddle over rocky areas.

Go onto YouTube and look at videos of the resort to get a better idea of the beach. I certainly never felt like we had to go anywhere else during our stay there. It's one of the nicest beaches that we've experienced while staying in Mauritius.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Dee

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

Ah thanks Dee! I've looked at so many photo's and video's and all looked fine. I was told it's rocky and you need shoes (R99 - Mr Price :-) ) but I was concerned that the water is like a meter deep and that you can basically only float around. My common sense told me that once you are over the rocky area, you will be able to swim but I think when people refer to 'you can't swim', they mean you can't really stand around in the water up to your waste because of the rocks. Your comments are much appreciated!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6 516 posts
61 reviews
3. Re: Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

Have a look at my review for more info. Thinking about it makes me want to book another holiday there right now!

https:/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
47 200 posts
132 reviews
4. Re: Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

Le Victoria is having a refurb this year which was cancelled from last year including building a new wing so check with the hotel before booking in case this impacts on your plans - you don't say when you are going.

Pointe aux Piments is a rocky area.

See post # 18:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293…

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

Thank you Bronio! We would like to go mid June - I am aware that it is their winter season but I am quite happy with the 25 degrees. I will most certainly follow up on the refurbishments - thank you

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

Thanks so much! I had a look at it and I will simply buy shoes before going - I always tend to think that a lot of the complaining is all in the attitude :-)

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19 172 posts
219 reviews
7. Re: Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

Friends stayed at Le Victoria a couple of years ago and said the rooms looked tired, Ask for a refurbished room if you book during the renovations.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
47 200 posts
132 reviews
8. Re: Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

I think they intend doing renovation in low season. Last year they said to me a possible May start date so they wont be ready for June.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19 172 posts
219 reviews
9. Re: Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

Of course, OP is going mid June.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
10. Re: Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches

Hello, Bronia,

We know you are expert in Mauritius.

Can you please, tell us if it is worth going from Victoria Beachcomber beach to Trou aux Biches for snorkeling? Here there are not many fish :(.

Is here close any other good snorkeling place?

Thank you,

Andreea

Reply to: Pointe aux Piments to Trou aux Biches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pointe Aux Piments