We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip for private taxi tour driver

Level Contributor
142 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
Tip for private taxi tour driver

Hi how much should I tip the driver on a tour to the North side of the island?

TIA

Arrived here on Wednesday morning having a brilliant time.

6 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
29 204 posts
3 261 reviews
2 831 helpful votes
1. Re: Tip for private taxi tour driver

Tipping is not necessary. Negotiate a price, anything else is really up to you. The US tip culture does not apply.

The driver is more interested in developing a good relations with you so you would use them again or recommend them to others.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
69 976 posts
170 reviews
1 316 helpful votes
2. Re: Tip for private taxi tour driver

We tip on airport runs but only up to round it up.

FIsher boy see you are already at Sugar Beach - how about a weather update from you? 😉

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293816-i9265-k14119119-o250-Post_your_weather_updates_from_September_2022-Mauritius.html#116723651

Thanks in advance!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Tip for private taxi tour driver

We were based at Porte la fayette and a North taxi trip independant of hotel was 100euro - Port Louis central market, water front - then botanical garden ,Grand Bay then Capmalere then home. Think the quote for South was 140 euro.

We hired a car for 8000 rupees for 4 days - got lost a lot and no GPS despite having local sim - so for good maps readers only - or adventurers - you dont always end up where you plan, Fun if you are chill.Back before sun down as lighting not so good.

We just had 9 days of sun with a couple of showers thrown in to make it exciting.

The cyclone had blasted the beaches in the East so a lot of bulldozers were rebuilding hotel sand beach fronts. All tidy again now.

Level Contributor
142 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Tip for private taxi tour driver

Hi Oliverpervasive, what did you think of the Botanical garden? Was it worth visiting?

How much time did you spend there?

What is there to see?

Did you go as far North as the red roofed church?

We plan on going to Port Louis, The Caudan waterfront and the market. Wanted to see Grand Baie and red roofed church. Is there anything else that you would recommend?

Greater London...
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Tip for private taxi tour driver

We drove about the north ourselves but avoided st louis at a whim.

I loved the botanical garden however its my kinda thing - its a bit run down - the herb/medicine garden was very weedy and sign sun bleached etc i loved it. loads of palms and all sorts of other tropical growth. The more you trudge about the more you find. If you are not a plant person - then its really just a place to wander about to make a change from beaches and prob an hour or two and you are done. The deer paddock and giant tortoise paddock are not great - so dont expect your kids to be impressed. Wear anti mossie cream - but do this anywhere not windy/beach TBF.

Gran baie is ok = few shops and then some food shacks and proper fish available - theres a few off beat spots just around too.

Red roofed church - psst - its a church and its got a red roof in a little bay - I would not bother myself. Still not sure why its iconic. We stopped at the cemetery before it and that was more fun and better view. Dont get me wrong - I like churches but really I cant see the point of visiting. I think its just on the route round the North. Go South to Black River gorge -waterfalls and great views. If on the East go to Belle Mare - but its just another beach and now there are motor boats spoiling the snorkeling. This is all just my opinion and experience - yours may be different. Its all lovely and lush - I would say its an island of beaches and most of the locals like a laugh and chat. Make an effort to banter with your worst French and you will be surprised how much fun you will have.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
69 976 posts
170 reviews
1 316 helpful votes
6. Re: Tip for private taxi tour driver

There's been a lot of bad press in Mauritius about how run down and uncared for the Botanical garden has become.There are some photos on Facebook.

Cap Malheureux cemetery was one of my favourite spots when we lived there. Stunning views.

The red roofed church used to be our local church - it's a pretty little church.

Port Louis is my least favourite place and one I avoided unless I had business there.

Its polluted, full of traffic and stressful.

Grand Baie is OK for shopping.

Reply to: Tip for private taxi tour driver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Flic En Flac
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.