We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Livingstone to Lusaka Train

Stone, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
Livingstone to Lusaka Train
Save

Hi

My research leads me to belive that the above train now only runs on a Monday. Previously I understand there were two trains, the Zambezi on a Monday which is still operating, and the Kitwe which used to operate on a Friday at 8pm.

I am hoping that someone local can confirm the current position. We had hoped to take the overnight Kitwe train from Livingstone to Lusaka on Friday 8th March 2024. Can anyone confirm that the train is not running on Friday night?

Many thanks

P

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
1. Re: Livingstone to Lusaka Train
Save

I was looking for a train from lusaka to livingstone as thought it would be quicker than the bus but it said train was 19 hours were bus is only 7 so didn't understand that

Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Livingstone to Lusaka Train
Save

Yes we plan to take the bus out, and the train back. A longer duration, but more fun perhaps. As it is, I don't think the trains running so we'll probably end up on the bus too.

Stone, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Livingstone to Lusaka Train
Save

Having now returned from Zambia and checking the situation at Livingstone station, I can confirm the Friday train is not running (March 2024). The train does run on a Monday. A taxi driver told us that the service has deteriorated significantly during recent months and he suggested it could take days rather than hours to reach Lusaka because it is not uncommon for the train to breakdown. We flew using Zambian airways £67 for a one way ticket. It was very straightforward.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Livingstone to Lusaka Train
Save

Thanks for this - I was very much looking forward to taking this train, but it seems a bit awkward overall. I'm also unclear if it is reliably the newer train with sleeper.

Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Livingstone to Lusaka Train
Save

I did meet a fellow traveller who was due to take the Monday train on the 11th March. He was quite relaxed about it, and looking forward to the fun of the journey. So I guess you make your choices!

I wish I had exchanged email addresses so I could find out how it went.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 199 posts
600 reviews
265 helpful votes
6. Re: Livingstone to Lusaka Train
Save

I didn't realise that this train was running again.

Word of warning. It probably runs 3 times slower than the bus and probably has 100 stops. Slight exaggeration.

It does not run to schedule.

But if you're not in a hurry and love scenery....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
7. Re: Livingstone to Lusaka Train
Save

I've taken the TAZARA train from Mbeya to Kapiri Mposhi. I know that doesn't help you much trying to go from Livingston or Lusaka, but it was a great trip. If you have any time and flexibility you could look into taking it to scratch your train itch.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 199 posts
600 reviews
265 helpful votes
8. Re: Livingstone to Lusaka Train
Save

TAZARA was a joint train initiative between the governments of Tanzania and Zambia and not under the management of the now defunct Zambia Railways.

Two different lines and different companies.

Tazara run from Kapiri Mposhi to Dar-es-Salaam whilst Zambia Railways runs between Livingstone and Kitwe.

Not dissuading the OP from using the train but just asking her to romanticise this trip.

Edited: 17 March 2024, 11:38
Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 199 posts
600 reviews
265 helpful votes
9. Re: Livingstone to Lusaka Train
Save

Meant NOT to romanticise. Correction

Reply to: Livingstone to Lusaka Train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Livingstone
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.