We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaza Visa/passport questions

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Kaza Visa/passport questions
Save

I've been reading over on the Vic Falls/Zimbabwe forums that travelers are often being denied Kaza Visas and instead being made to purchase single- or double-entry Zim visas on arrival at the VFA airport. So, I'm wondering if I'm denied a Kaza visa by Zim officials, is it possible to purchase one when we cross the bridge into Livingstone, Zambia? I understand that Americans no longer have to pay for a visa to enter Zam, but given that we'll need to re-enter Zim a few more times, I'd like to know if it's an option.

To give more background: because of flight schedules and prices, we are pretty much forced to fly into and out of VFA airport. There are no direct flights from Kruger MQP to LVI the day we finish up our safari, and it was prohibitively expensive to fly out of LVI to return home to the US. So we definitely are entering and exiting the area via VFA. However, we'd really prefer to stay in a hotel on the Zam side, mostly because there are more activities we'd like to do there (Devil's pool, microlight flight, Lunar Rainbow tour -- I've heard the view is better from Zam), but also because a couple of the hotels have super close proximity and free entrance to the Zam side of the Falls.

We do want to come back to Zim to see their side of the Falls, though, so we're looking at a minimum of 3 entries into Zim (on arrival at VFA, going back to see the Falls, and to depart from VFA), and maybe a 4th if we decide to grab dinner over there one night or something.

I'd love to hear from people who have flown in/out of VFA, but stayed in Zambia recently what was your experience with visas/border crossings (especially Americans as I know each nationality is treated differently with regards to visas)? Also, how many blank passport pages will I realistically need for this given that we're coming from South Africa into VFA and also flying back to SA (CPT) for our connection back to the US?

Thanks!!

2 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
8 916 posts
1. Re: Kaza Visa/passport questions
Save

My understanding is that people who are having trouble getting KAZAs are those for whom a double entry visa for Zim is more expensive than a KAZA. For US citizens, it's only $45, for UK it's $70. So it's just a way for the border officials to get more money. It's mainly Brits affected. i think Canadians also have particularly high fees, so they might have this issue too.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Kaza Visa/passport questions
Save

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks for the info! Certainly unfortunate for UK & Canadian citizens, though. :(

Edited: 01 December 2023, 23:25
Reply to: Kaza Visa/passport questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Livingstone
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.