We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping and Currency questions.

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
43 reviews
19 helpful votes
Tipping and Currency questions.
Save

I don't come from a tipping culture.

I'm being collected at the airport by my hotel.

How much should I tip the driver?

I've read that I'd be best to get US$ is that correct?

Many thanks

8 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
8 916 posts
1. Re: Tipping and Currency questions.
Save

There's a very lengthy and tedious thread about tipping you can read if you want.

Zambia doesn't have a tipping culture either, so if you do what you do at home you won't have a problem.

I, personally, wouldn't usually tip for a pre-paid or included airport transfer, and I've never felt like this was expected.

As for currency, depends what you are doing. If you are just going on safari to camps, then you might not need any local currency, but if you are likely to shop in local shops, visit restaurants etc then you will need Kwacha.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 199 posts
600 reviews
265 helpful votes
2. Re: Tipping and Currency questions.
Save

Zambia's currency is Kwacha.

You're in Lusaka where people generally don't use dollars.

I would tip an equivalent of £5.

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
43 reviews
19 helpful votes
3. Re: Tipping and Currency questions.
Save

Great thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
43 reviews
19 helpful votes
4. Re: Tipping and Currency questions.
Save

I'm going to Livingston.

my apt owners stated they wanted payment in dollars. So I wasn't sure if this was usual there.

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
1 914 posts
155 reviews
159 helpful votes
5. Re: Tipping and Currency questions.
Save

I think it's very common to pay in dollars for "large" purchases such as hotel or even taxi rides. We also tipped at the camps in dollars. However, I was told that it's hard for an individual to exchange small bills into local currency. So, if you plan to tip small amounts for random things then it may be best to do it in kwatcha.

That said, we did not tip for car rides except to round up to avoid change.

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
43 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: Tipping and Currency questions.
Save

Thanks.

Trenton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
75 posts
883 reviews
300 helpful votes
7. Re: Tipping and Currency questions.
Save

Any tipping is appreciated.

For driving, you can usually tip the "change," but would recommend strongly that it be in local currency.

Technically, I'm not even sure that it's permissible for someone to ask for payment in dollars, so you should see if they are giving you a preferential rate exchange. It may be that the http://U.S.dollar is performing strongly, but kwacha is what you should be using.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
20 posts
35 reviews
33 helpful votes
8. Re: Tipping and Currency questions.
Save

There are plenty of atms to take local currency - Kwacha. I think thee is a tipping culture here, I am in Zambia now and to have cash on you is important, as lots of times it’s expected to leave 50-100 Kw. That’s sound 1.8-3.6 usd

Reply to: Tipping and Currency questions.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Livingstone
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.