We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for islands around Krabi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
30 reviews
23 helpful votes
Itinerary for islands around Krabi
Save

Hi, We are planning a family trip to Thailand for the end of next year. Will fly from Bangkok and want to spend about 10 days in the area. We are thinking of this:

3 nights Phi Phi - Phi Phi Island Village Resort

2 nights Krabi

2 nights Khao Sok National Park

3 nights Ko Yao Noi

But I wondering if 8 nights across Phi Phi, Krabi and Yao Noi are too much because they are all in the same area. Instead, should we not stay in Phi Phi and just do a day trip from Krabi? Or do we not stay on Ko Yao Noi? We would like to stay on at least one island.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
17 445 posts
196 reviews
137 helpful votes
1. Re: Itinerary for islands around Krabi
Save

4 locations in 7 full days is very rushed in my opinion, I would settle for 2 locations myself in such a short time

Krabi is a large area, consisting of the mainland & islands such as Ko Phi Phi, Ko Lanta etc

Most people think a day trip to Phi Phi is a waste of time, as you spend so little time on the island & see virtually nothing of it. The north end of Phi Phi is very scenic & quiet

I've never been to Ko Yao Noi & know nothing about it

At my desk
Level Contributor
544 posts
102 reviews
64 helpful votes
2. Re: Itinerary for islands around Krabi
Save

If you just want to drink cocktails and relax then you may want to drop a location. But if you want to island hop and see the ferries between places as part of the adventure then four locations works well.

3 nights Phi Phi - Phi Phi Island Village Resort

Great location, assuming you don't want to be in the thick of the beer pong. There's great snorkeling within walking distance, you'll need your own snorkel.

2 nights Krabi

If you have the budget stay in Railay, and get up early and stroll around before all the day trippers arrive. And there is more to explore than meets the eye.

2 nights Khao Sok National Park

Make sure you choose the right place to stay (for your unique needs). Some places have a real kids focus, others are more luxury or backpacker oriented.

3 nights Ko Yao Noi

It's not nearly as picturesque as Railay or Phi Phi and the beaches are only ok. The best thing about Ko Yao Noi is that it feels a lot more local and a lot less touristy than surrounding areas. The best thing to do, by far, is to hire scooters and explore the island. If this isn't an option for you I might reconsider going.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
32 381 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary for islands around Krabi
Save

**4 locations in 7 full days is very rushed in my opinion, I would settle for 2 locations myself in such a short time**

^

+1

A "mistake" that many who visit Thailand for the first time make...in my opinion.

Give yourself time to relax and enjoy the country and the location vs settling in/packing up/travelling to the next location/repeat.

Florida - Alaska...
Level Contributor
12 990 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Itinerary for islands around Krabi
Save

Way too much for that timeframe. You are going to waste a big chunk of a day each time you change location.

I would probably drop Koh Phi Phi, the logic being that Phi Phi's beauty is due to the karst landscapes, which is the same that you will see in Krabi/Aonang/Railay, as well as Khao Sok (plus the drive between these two). Koh Yao Noi, while having some karst is a different landscape and feel from the above. It also has a more local feel compared to Phi Phi and Aonang/Railay which are very touristy.

A night or two in a floating hotel on Khao Sok's Chew Larn lake will make up for not sleeping on Phi Phi.

Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
4 949 posts
34 reviews
38 helpful votes
5. Re: Itinerary for islands around Krabi
Save

I’d look at dropping Krabi and KYN completely.

Sights in Krabi can be seen by day trips, using Phi Phi as your base.

KYN doesn’t cut it, in my opinion. Beaches poor and you can see traditional life elsewhere in your trip.

Perhaps go 4 and 4 with Phi Phi and Sok. For the latter, stay on the lake, and also do some canoe trips or jungle treks elsewhere in the area.

I’m not a great fan of Khao Lak - too sleepy for me. But, it would be a shame for you to visit this area and not experience the Andaman Sea. So, consider 2 nights here after Khao Sok.

I always base my own plans on 2 nights = only 1 full day. In most places, you need more than just 1 day to be able to satisfactorily tick it off.

South Pole
Level Contributor
1 502 posts
6. Re: Itinerary for islands around Krabi
Save

That plan is too easy and even comfortable if u have the time and have a car. We do this easy but we can fall back on a home or risk extra days. We always prevail tho without those. On a time schedule depending on outsiders u wouldnt be able to relax.

I can only say that people here can do it and still manage to get back to work on time. Thai people can sleep easy and focus next day and next day and then back to normal. I'm always on these kind of plans and I'm the only one that doesn't rest. It's not like Euro. U need someone here if u want to do this, someone u can count on.

Also need friends at all locations u go.

If u got that then that's a normal Thai style holiday and can do.

Reply to: Itinerary for islands around Krabi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Krabi Town
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.